• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

colour subs coming out mono ?

red dwalf

hi all,

got a few shots at the sgl7 meet of different targets, did a little stacking with deep sky stacker, the lum, red, green and blue channels and a few darks, but the image keeps coming up in mono or greyscale when it`s finished stacking them, no colour at all, what am i doing wrong ?

i have 20 subs of each channel including darks and i`ve tried stacking each channel seperatly and all together but it seems to be the same outcome

Guest Kheldar

You're doing nothing wrong mate, the stack will be mono as even with the filter in place, it's still a mono image.

What is important though, is all the "light" bits in each image translate to the right colour.

The next step (and I don't know what software you are using) is to create an LRGB from the data. I "think" DSS can do this, but I don't know how.

I use Photoshop, and would paste and rotate each image into the relevant colour channel in a new image. You would of course need to rotate each channel to compensate for any rotational differences.

Edit : I think one of the Noels actions will create the RGB image automatically for you from the named individual images.

Edited by Kheldar

cheers steve, i`m using deep sky stacker and then i have photoshop 3 for software, but i hadn`t got a far as photoshop as i wasn`t too happy, is there a step by step guide on the web anywhere you know of ?

Guest Kheldar

See if steppenwolfs method works for you:

/>http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-image-processing-help-techniques/100920-merging-rgb-photoshop.html

It's cheating until I get my act together and start taking pictures. It'll be totally legit then lol :)