• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2nd Light

Guest dindy

Guest dindy

Hi All. Managed to get out  a few days ago for second go with evolution 8. Bit more organized this time except mixing up the eyepiece end caps;) Took my time and made sure the tripod was level. I found comparing the built in level to my small stabila level the tripod one was off so I went to the stabila. The scope cooled down for about 1.5 hours so no problem there. This time I did not choose Polaris on a one star align but  used 2 star auto.1st Dubhe,second align star was Antares. This time the scope went where I asked but alignment was out. Looking through eyepiece it was just visable  on far left but in the middle. Nothing wrong with scope but more I did not center alignment stars properly to start with. I have now purchased a illuminated crosshair eyepiece to see if that makes any difference to centering star.

Overall I was pleased but still needs a lot of work to get into a routine. I managed to remember to bring star to bottom left and then up to centre.

I had my dew shield on and when I decided to call it a night I thought I would have a go at collimation as it is a bit off. I was surprised once the shield came off how quick the optics dewed up which made it very hard to have a go at collimation. Looks like trying this at beginning of session rather than end,it was only 11:30 and a warm day.

I must get some proper storage bags for the ota & mount. I did mention in my other post that I may eventually get a 9x50 raci right angle scope  to replace to stock red dot finder that breaks my neck,that is beside once I get on knees  need a hoist to get me back up ( not due to weight but old knees) :) What I  was wondering as it will make a difference as to what case/bag I get for ota is do you or can you remove 9x50 raci once session is finished. Looking at pictures of the finder I am not sure if it screws permanently onto scope or has thumb screws to take off.

The RACI finder should replace the RDF and fit directly onto the same finder shoe on the tube using the thumbscrew. There are a few finders using a different fitting, so it will be worth checking before purchase that it is the same fitting as your Celestron.

• 1 month later...