• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focuser on a S/W 130P.

Daz Type-R

Evening all.

Got a bit of an issue with the mother in laws 130P focuser.

To focus correctly for my eye sight and the mother in laws, I need to rack the focuser in more but we are all ready at the limit of the focuser, so unable to focus correctly.

Is there an extension tube we can get, or is something wrong or can the focuser be adjusted?

Help!

Regards,

Daz.

Guest Kheldar

Has it been OK in the past, as your mother in law has had the scope a little while now.

This first, could be collimation etc .....

Failing that, you can't really move the focuser in more without a Heath Robinson style adaptor DIY job.

You "could" move the primary mirror up the tube, but that's going to require a hacksaw ......

Thanks for the replys guys, in the past we were using the "standard" Skywatcher ep's in their 1.25" format.

She has since got herself a Badder Hyperion Zoom after looking through mine, I removed the 1.25" fitment and put the 2" adapter on it, ever since changing to the zoom from the standards I have been unable to get proper focus due to the lack of travel on the focuser!

I don't think it is the zoom ep, as the adapters that are on the focuser seem to be stopping the focuser from going in any further.

I`m just shocked that it needs to be that far in, for good focus on my crayford, I only have about 2/3 of the focuser going into the OTA.

On the 130P, we have all the focuser tube going into the OTA and need more!

I use the 1.25 part of my zoom all the time with no problem, putting the 2" tube on the end doesn't make it a 2" ep. but does mean more focuser 'in' travel to achieve focus!

Guest Ely Ellis

Got a similar problem with my son's 76mm skywatcher. I just bought the Hyp Zoom for my 120mm frac, but I tried to test it on my son's little scope and could not focus. The focuser was fully `in`. I found it would focus on things close up, such as 10 or 20 metres away, but anthing further was a no go. Luckily I bought it for my 120mm refractor and it works fine on there.

Sorry its not much help, but at least you know someone else had the same issue.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis