• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Duck

philjay

Went walkabout with the Nikon kit today and this little fella obliged with a pose. Any of you twitchers/birders know what make and model it is?

duck2.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely pic Phil.

Well I'm a wanna be twitcher, and my new book says it is a male Tufted Duck, Aythya fuligula. But I could be very wrong. :)

Edited by Tweedledee

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yep Pete's nailed it.

Cheers, that's spurred me on a bit. My first identification, bought the book on Friday. :2thumbsup:

Nice one Pete.

Off to Alkborough Flats up by the Humber bridge today hopefully to bag a Purple Swamphen.

I've seen one in Mallorca but not here in Britain so fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Nice one Pete.

Off to Alkborough Flats up by the Humber bridge today hopefully to bag a Purple Swamphen.

I've seen one in Mallorca but not here in Britain so fingers crossed.

That's a rare one. Not shown in my book as it is normally well south of the UK. But after googling, I see it has been spotted at several places in the UK and first sighted at Alkborough last week. Good luck with that one Mick. :thumbsup:

See I knew some sad type would know on here and I got 2 of them:lol:

Don't know much about dicky bird make and models but I do like spotting and photographing them

Is the Swamphen related to the Swampdonkey by any chance?

Sorry (swampdonkey) private joke from a place I used to work, I shall fetch my coat again:lol:

Swamp Hen ticked off, only had to wait half hour then we all saw it.

Alkborough Flats is a huge place but not to much else was about. Did see a Water Rail and all your normal waders.

Pete's becoming a bit of a twitcher by the sound of it :lol:

It can become very addictive be warned.

I can see the attraction Mick, I find it very relaxing.

These were taken at Attenborough yesterday, found myself over that way and popped in for a couple of hours walkabout.

Spotted a couple of little egrets, a grey heron who legged it before I could get a good shot and my 1st Kingfisher in about 20 years but only at a distance too great to photograph.

I must remember to take jungle formula next time as my arms are covered in gnat bites.

17 hours ago, philjay said:

Is the Swamphen related to the Swampdonkey by any chance?

Sorry (swampdonkey) private joke from a place I used to work, I shall fetch my coat again:lol:

Over the years there have been numerous outbreaks of swamp donkeys, I myself have witnessed them and been forced to work with tamer members of the species. On a number of occasions they even formed herds. They are normally diurnal, although a separate sub species has been observed as being purely nocturnal. 

They can be easily distinguished by the fact that they are right, even when they are wrong. They are not shy, usually continuously vocal even as a lone individual, the nocturnal type even more so during the hours of darkness. 

It has been found that they do not easily get along with other members of their species, even when with the females and are always fiercely combative when they don't actually have anything to back the threat postures up with. When they realise that they are in imminent danger they retreat rapidly back to their solitary lair in their Mum's basement. They are capable of carrying out venomous attacks on people they have no connection with or chance of ever meeting, using the internet as a stealth weapon. 

This species should be avoided at all costs. It has been hoped that in isolation there would not be a viable breeding population, but new behavior has been noted in the young of the species where they are in possession of a subordinate, but usually more intelligent animal, known as a "Staffy" and can be seen wearing tribal colours, mostly Burberry baseball caps. These can be further confirmed by their lack of ability to string a complete sentence together without the use of profanities. If you want to observe these in their natural habitat, a favourite gathering place is a fast food restaurant, but do not attempt to tame one they revert back to feral behavior in a very short space of time.

:lol:

See, Martyn knows of them. My experience was with a particularly nasty female but we wont go into that :-)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk