• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guess who's back. First M42 of the year.

Graham

Had to stay up until 5.30 this morning to grab this.

Just shows how far round in the year we have come.

Had to fight the early dawn murk to get this.

Gt 81

Atik 414 EX

11 subs in HA,OIII and SII all at just 60 seconds.

Captured and stacked in Maxim.

Processed in PS 6.

It is pretty poor but what the heck its the first one of the season.

M42.jpg

Well, that's it when Orion gets out of bed. I reckon there will be a few more soon and why not it's magnificent. You have the first one unless I stand corrected Graham. (frequently I am!)

5 hours ago, BAZ said:

Well, that's it when Orion gets out of bed. I reckon there will be a few more soon and why not it's magnificent. You have the first one unless I stand corrected Graham. (frequently I am!)

Thanks Martyn.

Its the first one of the season for me :)

5 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Looking forward to seeing M42 at Kelling - nice to see a "first of the season" image despite the awkward conditions. :)

Thanks Kim.

For me personally its nice to see her because it means the longer dark nights are here again -- More imaging time -- :party:

2 hours ago, Sheila said:

Well you manage to stay up far later than I can :) nice one 

Thanks Sheila -- was up getting more data on Nelle's Trunk and I just figured, why not - another hour wont make any difference.

1 hour ago, Ron Clarke said:

Well done Graham, 5.30 am!! There's dedication for you!! :)

Thanks Ron.

Don't know about dedication.

I just think good nights are few and far between so grab everyone when ever possible.

• Like 2

I turned in a 3am it was too murky lower down towards the horizon I was hoping to get that axis drift aligned but every night it's looked clear both east and west has been too murky to get it done. I did see the top of Orion just peeking up over the horizon. If I'd been happy with my alignment I might have stayed up to capture it. Nicely done in the prevailing conditions

Thanks John.

To be perfectly honest it will be another month or so before it is high enough here to do it justice as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose it could be possible to get up at 5.30! I only get up for work an hour later.  I must admit I usually don't stay up past 10 on a weeknight or 1 on a Friday or Saturday.

No doubt I'll do my own M42 this year, knowing full well that others will do it much better.