• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

polarsope again ?

cosmic dave

I went to line my polarscope up at gib point last night but I can't see any markings in the scope to line polaris up because its to dark ! Any suggestions pls.

A quick fix is to shine a red light across the hole, it's a bit of a faff as the light level has to be just right as not to wipe out polaris whilst still being able to see the polar scope markings. The more permanent method is to use a single red led with two AAA batteries. the led needs to be on the end of a short stalk so it can hang over the hole without obscuring the view. Kheldar had one in his "box of crap" at SGL7 and I think he still has it.

I bought a polarscope light from RVO ages ago, couldn't align without it!

Astronomy Shed has a tutorial about making a polarscope red LED adapter, I even think you can buy them from Dion.

Dave

here's another Astronomyshed link for a polar scope alignment and collimation. It also has a good mod replacing the adjustment grub screws with thumb screws to make adjustment easier.

I was having trouble with my CGEM dx mount which Kim and Nadeem were helping me with as I couldn't get it to goto objects properly and find them. The upshot from my experience is aligning with a compass and using the latitude scale and then doing an alignment isn't good enough (you pros will know this already :) ). I bought a polar scope and found that both the compass and latitude scale were a mile out. I then took a lot of time with a 2 star alignment and used 4 callibration stars and the goto was absolutely spot on. It found everything on the goto tour and everything on the Messier and solar menus

Dave