• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Altair Astro 60mm finder guider scope

Orion

I bought the above equipment a while back, sat in its box unused.  It didn't come with eyepiece or right angle prism.  The aim was and still is, to connect a qhy5Lii colour camera to it for use as a guidescope.   But at the moment, I want to try attaching a DSLR to it and test its ability effectively as a telephoto lens.  But I'm stuck. There's no instructions and Im having difficulty with the number of parts that rotate, relative to one another.  Im not sure if one part which is freely rotating, should not rotate at all and may be loose - that's the inner ring.

Can anyone help? Anyone nearby who has one that can show me?

Thank you 

I have this finder scope Derek - complete with diagonal, eyepieces, and webcam adaptor. But I don't have a dslr attachment for it and I'm not really sure if one exists, nor if it's usable with a dslr. I use it for my Lodestar guide camera. You're welcome to pop over for a look and a chat about it over a cuppa - might give you a few ideas. :)

Edited by Brantuk

I have the 80mm Altair finder. As Kim says. Not sure it would be best suited for use directly on a camera. I could be wrong and am sure graham would be able to make an adaptor if you did want to try it out. Best to have a look at Kim's I think to see what the basics are with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horses for courses Derek.

Getting it to focus (with a DSLR) would be a challenge in itself.

Image quality be also be 'questionable'.

Edited by Bino-viewer

looking at the photos of these I would say that the thread on the end of the helical focuser is m42 which will screw into a T ring adaptor that in-turn will fit into the front of your DSLR 

Edited by Graham