• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ideal World Meade 76

Dean Watson

Just been -mmm- enjoying the presentation for the Meade 76 on Ideal World shopping channel.  Apparently its experience is 'prolific'.  Looks great.  I'm persuaded.  Thinking of getting one...

Are you talking about the Newtonian  ????

76mm reflector , personally I would save my pennies for a second hand 200mm newt.

Go for it Dean. These shopping channels know their products inside out and have rigorously tested each one in the field. :2thumbsup:

I'm sure there are better finders for your C11. :)

I know Pete - Actually, Im a bit ambivalent about this kind of thing.  On the one hand, my very first telescope years ago was a Tasco Lunagrosso 114 (actually, not a terrible scope - although nothing brilliant) and this kind of thing can and does get people interested (although I was since the age of 5, grew up with the moon landings, that era, much the same as many on here - Turned 49 last week).  The trouble is the presenters talk such bottom gravy and give a totally unrealistic idea of what can be achieved interspersed with Hubble imagery.  I'd like to think that Meade would know better, but lets face it, they've had their problems recently.

Yes, this kind of thing is overblown, but still, while the old 'get a pair of binoculars' trope hold true (at least as regards to quality), these kind of scopes will give a higher mag image of the moon, be easier to get a phone image through, are mounted (albeit on jelly legs with custard feet - They are a trifle unstable!!!! - Should go into professional stand up!)  and of course give the 'feel' of using a telescope (albeit disappointingly compared to anything else out there).  The second hand market is all very well of course but we here on the whole know what we're looking at, where to find it etc.

As I say, I'm ambivalent!  Nevertheless, If you fancy a laugh and are lucky enough to catch one of these presentations do spare them 10 minutes - Although after a bit it does become an experience somewhat akin to eating your own hair.

I wouldn't be surprised if they flashed up a few full colour Hubble nebula images to advertise what wonders can be seen with the Meade 76. :)

As you say the moon would be quite spectacular to a beginner through it, and it might just spark someone's interest for a £100 outlay or less.

I mean, 76mm aperture! A whole 3 inches... A spherical mirror for all I know...errgggghhhh.... Actually, just had a quick look out of curiosity at Currys WS. They do they EQ version with Barlow for £120 also rather than the alt az ideal world were flogging.  Bargain!

It's not even a whole 3 inches. It probably has a (relatively) large secondary blocking a substantial proportion the view.

Anyway, the Currys one must be really good because it says "experience the wonders of the night sky from your bedroom window". I wouldn't mind staying in bed and observing, just a pity my dob won't go upstairs. :( :D

Just got a new glass conservatory roof - Going to flog the skyshed and stick the CPC1100 in here with me!  Now that's civilised, astronomy with the radiator on!

Hmmm... you might get a lot of rising thermals in the conservatory and the scope won't totally cool properly. That'll make your viewing all wobbly. Personally I would rethink selling the skyshed - but it's just my opinion - up to yourself really. :)

1 hour ago, Brantuk said:

Hmmm... you might get a lot of rising thermals in the conservatory and the scope won't totally cool properly. That'll make your viewing all wobbly. Personally I would rethink selling the skyshed - but it's just my opinion - up to yourself really. :)

I was being ironic/silly Kim - I hope that's you joining in on the joke- I'm not that daft!

In fact I have a glass roof conservatory and once I set up my  16" dob in the middle of it, and guess what it didn't work :lol: