• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello

Sneakybrit

Hello,

My name is Kev. I'm new to astronomy bought my first scope just a couple of weeks ago a skywatcher 130p with a EQ2 mount.  No decent eyepieces yet, just the ones I got with the scope. Very limited budget so aquiring as and when I can.

Hi Kev, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a good scope and will keep you happy for a while. Even with the supplied eyepieces, it is capable of showing you a good majority of the sights on offer. As you say, when budget allows improvements can be made. 

Get used to setting it up during the day, so when you are outside, you have a good idea of what you are doing and it's not so frustrating. (Been there and done that!) Get the hang of Polar alignment, this isn't as tricky as it can be made out and for visual just getting it somewhere near is good enough to be able to correct it easily. There are plenty of guides on Youtube, find one which works for you and if you get stuck with anything, just shout up and ask.

We have a darksite up at Belper Cricket Club on Sandyford Lane and another at Wymeswold Cricket Club on Burton Lane. You would be very welcome to bring your new scope along and meet the rest of us.

Keep an eye on the info and announcements section for meets.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi kev, welcome aboard. That's the scope I started out with. You will be suprised what it can show you from a dark site. A great little starter scope.

Hi Kev, welcome here too.
That's the 'scope that a certain Mr. Moore waxed lyrical over in a book on budget 'scopes. (Or at least whomsoever wrote it did!) I keep looking at one too. I hope you get darker skies than I do here on Heathrow's southern perimeter...

e&oe...

On 23/10/2016 at 16:56, banjo said:

Hi Kev, welcome here too.
That's the 'scope that a certain Mr. Moore waxed lyrical over in a book on budget 'scopes. (Or at least whomsoever wrote it did!) I keep looking at one too. I hope you get darker skies than I do here on Heathrow's southern perimeter...

e&oe...

Thank you,

Yeeah get some nice dark skies up this way...looks like it's going to get alot brighter down your way, from whats being said on the news.

Yes indeed! I just received a "red alert" from Lancaster Aurora Watch. Apparently, "Aurora likely visible from any where in the UK."

e&oe...