• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Recommend a mount?

catman161

Hey guys am just thinking about perhaps getting a goto/tracking mount/tripod for my 200p but don't really know what is good enough to handle the OTA, what style of mount I'd good etc. Am just looking for suggestions at present to think about so don't have any specific budget in mind so I'm open to anything :)

I use an EQ5 but hope to upgrade (finances permitting!) to an HEQ5 later this year, so go for an HEQ5 at least if you cam!

Thanks guys. I have been lookin at the NEQ6 pro ;). Just wanted a few second opinions. Cheers.

Hey Felix, once the EQ8 is available there should be loads of HEQ5 and EQ6's second hand as the images upgrade (hopefully).

Hey Felix, once the EQ8 is available there should be loads of HEQ5 and EQ6's second hand as the images upgrade (hopefully).

Thanks rusty, that's worth knowing. Any idea when the eq8 is set to be released?

Hi Felix, sorry I forgot to get back to you on my topic, I got the cg5 which is enough for visual and was a bargain

Nice one cheers eddy :)

If you just want to do visual with it then the HEQ5 will suffice - it'll also take other smaller scopes like short tube wide field refractors with guiding for imaging with no problem. But if you intend to get a big newt or refractor for imaging the NEQ6 Pro is the best way to go. It'll last a lifetime of astronomy (if there is such a thing) and you'll never need another eq mount (unless the lottery comes up) :)

Thanks Kim :). If the euromillions comes up then you can all have whatever you want as long as mine is the best ;) ............and one of you promises to show me how to use it lol!

You can have a look over the NEQ6 Pro next time you pop round for a session if you remind me - or any time if you just wanna see it :)

Guest NadeemShah

EQ5 for Visual

CG5 GT for Visual/Imaging

HEQ5 Pro for Visual/Imaging

NEQ6 Pro for Visual/Imaging

CGEM for Visual/Imaging

The new EQ6 may be worth waiting for, scope one side, counter weights OR another scope on the other side?