• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cinema

Bottletopburly

Watched  A Monster calls last week at the cinema after previously reading the book which is very good read , film doesn't disappoint very good , though lot of misguided parents taking kids in , probably need to do their home work , this is the story of a boys battle to come too terms with his mums fight with cancer  , take some tissues though all I could hear at the end were people sobbing  , Liam neeaon plays the monster /voice I would give it a 9/10

And if you haven't seen them, Rogue One is excellent, probably the best Star Wars film in my opinion.  Also adored The Martian, surprisingly close t the book and the first decent Ridley Scott film in years - I mean, Prometheus, what were you thinking.  Apparently evolution is something other people do...

Lead  actress in rogue one  also lead in A monster calls , Martian ? I also liked interstellar , films on the list this year  Thor , Spider-Man -Wonder Woman,  guardians of the galaxy2    thor battles the hulk and dr strange helps  Thor out  , another bit of useless  info there's a Marvel artist in my town done it for years  Alan Davis  very good  

A Monster Calls is not for me. I'm sure it is really good but sounds too depressing. My wife would love it, she even reads books about people dying of cancer and the like.

I didn't think much to Prometheus. Bought it on Blu ray with high expectations, but wasn't impressed.

Thoroughly enjoyed Interstellar. Gravity was spectacular in 3D on the big screen but I think it would lose a lot of impact on the telly.

Went to see Fantastic Beasts at the cinema last week and found it a refreshing change from the Harry Potter ones that have now been done to death. It had a nice ending ready for the next installment.

I intend to see Rogue One soon.

35 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:
35 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Lead  actress in rogue one  also lead in A monster calls , Martian ? I also liked interstellar , films on the list this year  Thor , Spider-Man -Wonder Woman,  guardians of the galaxy2    thor battles the hulk and dr strange helps  Thor out  , another bit of useless  info there's a Marvel artist in my town done it for years  Alan Davis  very good 

Wasn't so keen on Interstellar.  Endless blubbing throughout.  I mean, as a guy i'm not afraid to shed a tear, but I mean really... And the soundtrack was about as pleasant as being vigorously rubbed by a man with a cheesegrater.  Ooh, gosh wow graphics of a black hole!!!! Seen the same on Horizon et al.

I thought Gravity also, in the words of Bart Simpson both sucked and blew.  I have no problem with willing suspension of disbelief (fantasies like SW etc) but if youre going to use real space hardware as your sets at least pay some lip service to not just the physics (don't get me started on Gravity's funny orbital mechanics) but I mean really, as astronauts how did Clooney and Bullock even vaquely resemble them in behaviour?  Just killed it for me.  And again, loads of blubbing!

Now on the other hand, even with a fantasy element The Martian stuck pretty close to real science, told a good story and was close to real astronaut behaviors.  Much easier to suspend the disbelief as histrionic emotion didn't get in the way of a much more human story.  But the original book is excellent.  Granted the storm wouldn't have been enough to kick it off but plenty of other things could have done.

1 hour ago, DeanWatson said:

Wasn't so keen on Interstellar.  Endless blubbing throughout.  I mean, as a guy i'm not afraid to shed a tear, but I mean really... And the soundtrack was about as pleasant as being vigorously rubbed by a man with a cheesegrater.  Ooh, gosh wow graphics of a black hole!!!! Seen the same on Horizon et al.

I thought Gravity also, in the words of Bart Simpson both sucked and blew.  I have no problem with willing suspension of disbelief (fantasies like SW etc) but if youre going to use real space hardware as your sets at least pay some lip service to not just the physics (don't get me started on Gravity's funny orbital mechanics) but I mean really, as astronauts how did Clooney and Bullock even vaquely resemble them in behaviour?  Just killed it for me.  And again, loads of blubbing!

Now on the other hand, even with a fantasy element The Martian stuck pretty close to real science, told a good story and was close to real astronaut behaviors.  Much easier to suspend the disbelief as histrionic emotion didn't get in the way of a much more human story.  But the original book is excellent.  Granted the storm wouldn't have been enough to kick it off but plenty of other things could have done.

I tend not to think to deep with films  I wouldn't advise going to see the new power rangers film lols   

Suicide Squad and Deadpool are hilarious and Lone Survivor was brilliant (based on a true story). Liked the Martian - and Gravity had some amazing effects in both 3D and Atmos. But Interstellar just didn't float my boat - time warp through a bookcase as the main plot is a tad too feeble for me lol. Saw Monster but "A Monster Calls" totally different films if I'm not mistaken. Good ones for audio are Jupiter Ascending (3D) and Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice - fantastic in Atmos, really immersive soundtracks. :)

(No prize for guessing plot seems to be loosing importance in today's market lol)

1 hour ago, Brantuk said:

Suicide Squad and Deadpool are hilarious and Lone Survivor was brilliant (based on a true story). Liked the Martian - and Gravity had some amazing effects in both 3D and Atmos. But Interstellar just didn't float my boat - time warp through a bookcase as the main plot is a tad too feeble for me lol. Saw Monster but "A Monster Calls" totally different films if I'm not mistaken. Good ones for audio are Jupiter Ascending (3D) and Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice - fantastic in Atmos, really immersive soundtracks. :)

(No prize for guessing plot seems to be loosing importance in today's market lol)

lone survivor good film, though the book is even better same for American sniper far better book ,keep an eye for a film called fearless based on the book of same name thats a good book  ,saw Dr Strange at imax great film though you dont notice the screens HUGE after a while