• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Powering my laptop. - NOT FOUND ???

Nelson

IMG_0803.JPGHi everyone I have been trying for quite some time to find a solution to my problem and have purchased or tried various things but all to no avail, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyway as I have the correct tip that came with the Panasonic Toughbook I thought that if I could find someone who could make a cigarette tip positive cable with a plug on the other end, see pic as I'm sure there is a correct name for it, then I could power my laptop from my battery. 

Edited by Daz Type-R

You have to be careful to feed the laptop with the right voltage (and power/current capacity) - laptops don't like voltages other than the specified levels...!

I would not power the laptop up on anything other than a matching power source.

What voltage is displayed on the power module?

You can usually get a spare battery for the laptop that has a larger capacity than the original one... try and source one on the web etc...

Think we have been here before Melvin?

Doesn't your Toughbook have a non standard power connection on the laptop itself ?????

Sorry in advance if I have got confused with someone else !!!! :facepalm:

1 hour ago, stash said:

Think we have been here before Melvin?

Doesn't your Toughbook have a non standard power connection on the laptop itself ?????

Sorry in advance if I have got confused with someone else !!!! :facepalm:

this is what I was referring too - posted by yourself sometime back 

"Hi thanks for the info Clive, from the list you have supplied it seems I would have to change most if not all of my current setup. The real bugbear for me is the power plug fitting into my Toughbook. I purchased a charger specific to the laptop only to find that sometime it, my laptop, was bastardised. If I could change the input plug on the laptop back to what it should be then the specific charger would fit and away I go. "

Hi there, yes we have been here before but I have never solved it. I purchased many different items and even took everything to a PC shop where they tried to sell me another battery for it, but never came up with a solution. I went to an outreach session recently and after about 2hrs the battery died, I have since tried another item that was supposed to cure everything but it kept falling out. I suppose I could use another laptop but I really would like to solve this, I don't like to run away from a problem.

Hi Melvin ,

remind me

1. does your laptop work ,forever!,when plugged using the mains "power brick" in your picture?

2. Have you picture of the cable you currently use with the above "power brick". I am looking for the end that plugs into the laptop itself not the plug that plugs into the brick.

clive

Hi Clive, yes the laptop goes for ages when I plug it in using the power cable that came with it. I have tried many power ends but they either are not long enough or fall out just by looking at them, that is why I thought about getting a cigarette connection and plug the other end into the power brick which would allow me to power the laptop from my battery but I'm told it would not work. See the pic of the end that goes into the laptop when I connect to the power supply at home.

IMG_0804.JPG

Hi Melvin,

Yep just replacing the plug that goes into the mains(240v AC) socket will not work and is highly highly dangerous DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.  

If this plug in the picture works then obviously you need to get a plug that matches it exactly (ALL dimensions!) . Although hard to come by I cannot believe there isn't a matching plug out there.

However, if that's true then , as stated before last time this subject came up, you have no real alternatives but to chop (halfway depending on the length) the existing cable that runs from the brick to the laptop or have the laptop motherboard modified back to the std Panasonic socket.

I realise that you don't like doing the wiring bit so its a case of finding someone local who will perform either the chop or laptop mod - the latter would be expensive and you could end up with a non working laptop so my preference would be the chop. 

As one last try before doing the chop please take all the measurements of the plug shown above - thats from the plastic cover to,including, the yellow tip and try someone like Farnell,RS components - talk to the online help desk or send them an email with the above picture and what you want. See what this throws up.

On both these sites the dimensions are listed so laborious but the only way to match you existing plug.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/power-connectors/dc-power-plugs/

http://cpc.farnell.com/dc-barrel-connectors

https://www.kensington.com/en/gb/4688/laptop-power-charger-compatibility-checker

Unless someone else has a solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh forgot to add that if the Kensington power brick has a model/part number you might be able to find the dimensions of the plugs from there site but do your own measurements as well in case they does tally.

Edited by stash