• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Greetings from Melbourne (Derby, not Australia)

Guest ThinAir

Guest ThinAir

Evening All, 

Beginning my foray into amateur astronomy and thought the forums would be a great place to chat to some like-minded people - I think the girlfriend (who bought me a telescope) is sick of hearing about it - so much so she bought me a telescope for Christmas so that I spend more time outside in the garden!

I got a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ for Christmas, and have added a pair of binoculars to my 'setup'. 

I've seen some cool stuff through my new telescope including some nice views of Venus last night!

Been interested in space and physics for a while, so this seems like a logical step. Doing lots of reading about astronomy when it's too cloudy for me to see anything. 

I do have an issue with light pollution due to East Mid's airport being in relatively close proximity and the A42(M) in the other direction doing a beltin' job of illuminating the horizon. 

I haven't gone through the process of aligning my scope on it's mount yet, I have watched some video's telling me how to do this, but I just haven't had the time - what I have seen has been the result of sheer blind-luck and perseverance!

Outside of this hobby, I am a music teacher, play the trombone and the piano and have a mild (quite severe) obsession with Jazz and House music. 

Looking forward to chatting with some of you guys :)

Peace Out. 

ThinAir

(Chris)

Welcome to EMS Chris.

Glad you are enjoying your new scope. You have come to the right place, ask questions and you are sure to get lots of help here. :thumbsup:

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Nice intro mate - you might eventually find you want to replace the finder on your new scope - those ones tend to be not so useful. But otherwise it's a reasonable instrument to start with. Bring it to a meeting and we'll help you align it. Otherwise feel free to ask any questions here and someone be be along with help and suggestions soon. :)

welcome to the forum Chris, i started with a similar set up, a skywatcher 130p and loved it, i too suffer from light pollution so mainly do imaging now.  

Guest ThinAir

Thanks for all of the messages guys, really appreciate the warm welcome. 

It was really cloudy here last night until I nipped out to the bins about 5 minutes before bed and realised it was cold and absolutely crystal clear! Just my luck. I'll have another go tonight!

Welcome to the forum Chris, you're in the right place at a good time of year for stargazing! :)

Hi Chris, a warm welcome to EMS ? That was a great intro!

You are quite right in thinking our friendly forum is a great place for like minded people to share experiences and chat about our interest in all things astronomy etc.

I have personally learnt so many things from the members on this site, whether it be about lenses, telescopes, accessories or objects worth looking at. It has really upped my game! I hope it does the same for you too!

let us know how you are getting on...

cheers!

Guest ThinAir
12 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Nice intro mate - you might eventually find you want to replace the finder on your new scope - those ones tend to be not so useful. But otherwise it's a reasonable instrument to start with. Bring it to a meeting and we'll help you align it. Otherwise feel free to ask any questions here and someone be be along with help and suggestions soon. :)

Thanks Kim, and thanks for the offer of help as well - some of the videos I have seen have been a little confusing and I like to think I am quite logically minded!

Two follow up questions: 1) Where can I find out about meetings? Is this a forum meet or are you thinking of a local astronomy group?

2) Upgrading the finder-scope; can you recommend something?

Thanks

Chris

Meeting are announced in the "Information and Announcements" section under "EMS Meets" so keep an eye out for the next one. We have two dark sites at Belper and Wymeswold so details will be posted in the meeting thread. We're generally very practical hands on types so we usually take scopes and gear for observing, and some do imaging too.

Some meetings include a short talk or presentation - usually when the weather's duff and someone has something interesting to say lol. We try to have a monthly get together irrespective of weather where possible. First dark site visit is free to give you the opportunity to meet the members, see if you enjoy the group and site, and decide if you want to subscribe and become a regular. The small annual charge covers rent, insurance, and a few running costs, etc.

On your scope you would need to remove the current finder and fix a Skywatcher or Universal shoe which will take a variety of more accurate finder scopes. My personal preference is for a RACI (right angled correct image finder) but others prefer "straight through" finders or "red dot finders" RDF's. Or you may go for something like a Rigel or a Telrad reflex finder which projects a reticle onto an angled glass plate at zero magnification - they usually stick to the ota with double sided tape. Google any of those terms to see pictures of them.

Hth :)

Welcome to EMS Chris.

I can sympathize with you regarding the East Mids Airport light pollution as i'm not far from you in Castle Donington. 

5 hours ago, ThinAir said:

Something like this?

http://tinyurl.com/hpbjoov

Yes that's a Telrad - probably a bit big though for a 130mm newt - you usually find them on larger dobs but sometimes on smaller scopes. I'd go for a mutli reticle red dot finder or consider a raci if it were me. Of course it depends on what you want to spend - anything with glass in tends to be dearer as a rule. Check out First Light Optics, Telescope House, 365Astronomy, and Green Witch websites. :)

There's also the Rigel Quick Finder - smaller more compact version of the Telrad. :)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

Guest ThinAir
Welcome to EMS Chris.

I can sympathize with you regarding the East Mids Airport light pollution as i'm not far from you in Castle Donington. 

It must be even worse for you up in Castle D.

My stargazing is constantly disturbed from about 1900hours onward as the first of (what seems like) DHL's entire cargo fleet comes in to land over my house!

Can't have it all though... I've heard it's pretty dark around Staunton Harold reservoir so might head over there at some point soon with the binoculars and see what I can see :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guest ThinAir

Yes that's a Telrad - probably a bit big though for a 130mm newt - you usually find them on larger dobs but sometimes on smaller scopes. I'd go for a mutli reticle red dot finder or consider a raci if it were me. Of course it depends on what you want to spend - anything with glass in tends to be dearer as a rule. Check out First Light Optics, Telescope House, 365Astronomy, and Green Witch websites. [emoji4]

There's also the Rigel Quick Finder - smaller more compact version of the Telrad. [emoji4]

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

Like the look of the finderscope in the link. Will have a more in depth look tomorrow. Seems well priced as well!

18 hours ago, ThinAir said:

It must be even worse for you up in Castle D.

My stargazing is constantly disturbed from about 1900hours onward as the first of (what seems like) DHL's entire cargo fleet comes in to land over my house!

Can't have it all though... I've heard it's pretty dark around Staunton Harold reservoir so might head over there at some point soon with the binoculars and see what I can see :)

Better now they have finished the runway repairs it was like daylight at the weekends with all the floodlights :) 

I've heard that its pretty dark near Staunton Harold too. I have a mate who lives near Ticknall and he gets really dark skies.

Guest ThinAir
45 minutes ago, TasKiNG said:

Better now they have finished the runway repairs it was like daylight at the weekends with all the floodlights :) 

I've heard that its pretty dark near Staunton Harold too. I have a mate who lives near Ticknall and he gets really dark skies.

I'll do some reccy-ing over the next week or so. Staunton Harold (the end of the reservoir near Calke Abbey) is in a dip so you lose a lot of the the horizon but might well lose some of the pollution as a result. I'll let you know.

Hi Chris and welcome. I like the RACI finders but I think that you should keep the red dot as well. It can be difficult to be sure you're pointing at the star/position you think you are since both scope and finder will be at a right angle to where the scope is aimed. An RDF (Red Dot Finder) ensures that you are where you think you are.

It sounds like you're already doing pretty well with what you've got. 

If you need more than one finder, these triple brackets are good...

http://www.omegon.eu/mounting-brackets-and-accessories/omegon-tri-finder-finderscope-mount/p,46164

There are dual ones as well...

http://www.astroshop.eu/mounting-brackets-and-accessories/orion-dual-finder-mounting-bracket/p,43584

Shop around for better prices.

Hi Chris, welcome aboard. I have a 10x50 straight through finder with shoe which you would be welcome to borrow if you like. I recently upgraded mine to a raci and it's not doing anything. I also use a telrad finder but might be over kill on your scope due to size. We are due for a meet soon so if you want to borrow it let me know.

Guest ThinAir

Thanks tuckstar, that'd be really cool.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the meet and get in touch nearer the time :)