• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nova predicted in 2022

Tweedledee

If the calculations are correct, sometime between September 2021 and September 2022, a bright new star will appear in Cygnus. Two 12th mag stars currently orbiting each other, once in just eleven hours, will collide. This will create a new 2nd mag star which will temporarily be the brightest star in the rightmost wing of Cygnus.  It should appear about a degree from star cluster NGC6811.

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-a-bright-new-star-could-be-appearing-in-the-night-sky-in-2022

• Like 3

Interesting to see if they are right. Of course it's going to be cloudy for the next decade so we won't see it anyway :lol:

• Like 3

There's a chance that even an EMS member could be the first to see or image this explosion. You can locate this star using Stellarium.

I think it is the first time that such an event has been predicted.

Your correct Pete, they made their prediction based on data taken over the last  20 odd years where they think they found a similar thing happen, when they extrapolated the data to before and after the event, the stars in question now seem to be following a similar set of data points.

It won't be cloudy we will have clear skies every night  but it will be that dam bright you cant see anything else - worse than a full moon. Especially if Betelgeuse goes off or so Tbird keep telling me  :(

1 hour ago, Daz Type-R said:

Your correct Pete, they made their prediction based on data taken over the last  20 odd years where they think they found a similar thing happen, when they extrapolated the data to before and after the event, the stars in question now seem to be following a similar set of data points.

I thought something similar was predicted just over 2000 years ago. Not sure how rigorous the data sets were that they extrapolated from though. :lol:

• Like 1

:P 

I listen to a lot of astronomy podcasts on my commute, as I'm in the car for approx 2-3 hours a day, this topic was on one of them a month or so ago, so my recollection of the exact info is obviously off a tad.

:) 

9 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

:P 

I listen to a lot of astronomy podcasts on my commute, as I'm in the car for approx 2-3 hours a day, this topic was on one of them a month or so ago, so my recollection of the exact info is obviously off a tad.

:) 

I had the "Star of Bethlehem" in mind. :D

This will be worth following, to see if prediction is accurate and to witness the nova. Cheers Pete!