• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie from Hinckley-area :)

Guest WiKi_KiKi

Hi Scott and welcome to EMS. Good scope you have there, what mishaps befell you?

Welcome along. I'm Leicester based and hve the 200p. Gimme a shout on PM regarding the probs you have been having and I'll see if I can help. The 200p is a fantastic scope once you have got it sorted you will live the views.

Guest WiKi_KiKi

Hello, thanks for the kind welcome :)

The mishaps included having an extra unneeded part in the eyepiece slot. It gave me a really blurred image and when looking at the moon all I saw was just light. Thankfully I got that sorted and I can now see great detail on the moons surface. Shame the clear nights will disappear now though, especially during half-term!

Hi catman, thanks for the offer. Will do :)

brantuk ;)

Hi Scott, a warm welcome to EMS.

Sorry you are having problems with the scope, but once you have them sorted out, you will find it's a great scope.

The model out of the box is OK, but nearly everyone "Mods" it, to get it to move better, and improve the view. You can add things to it like a dew shield, this you will need, these can be made cheaply out of things such as camping mats.

Once you have it tamed, it will keep you happy for years.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Guest WiKi_KiKi

brantuk has setup my scope for me along with the finder, really appreciate him for doing this :) Cheers brantuk :D

What is the dew shield for? I assume it's to stop moisture getting into the scope? and is it a must/necessity for this scope? Cheers for the welcome all :)

Scott

You're very welcome Scott - it was nice to meet you and your dad today.

The dew shield is to stop moisture forming on the secondary mirror at the top end of the scope when the air is damp (the primary is usually ok at the bottom of the tube).

You can make one with a black camping mat and some black gaffer tape for five or six quid. It will also reduce stray light coming in the end of the tube if you observe from a light polluted area (street lights etc).

You will need to fine tune the finder scope next time you set up for observing cos the journey will have jogged it slightly off. Just use small tweaks on the screws till you get accustomed to how it moves when centering up :)

Hi Scott and welcome to EMS. Have a look at my signature at the bottom of this thread, will give you a few clues as to what you can do to make your scope better. Also, check out the beginners section and then guides and tutorials, some good stuff in there to get you started!

• 2 weeks later...