• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

damp repelant spray for usb connectors and hubs

red dwalf

i was wondering if anyone can surgest any spray that can be used as a water or damp repelant for usb connectors and other electronic items, i have been starting the gear up and finding that certain items like the filter wheel does not connect to the programs unless i unplug it from the powered hub and plug it back in again, it then works without problem so was just thinging it may be down to the moister in the air at this time of year, it is strange as the filter wheel goes through it`s alignment cycle when started without problems.

There is a number of  electrical water repellent sprays like this https://www.alza.co.uk/compass-nanoprotech-electric-150-milliliters-blue-d2899001.htm?ka. However how far they protect against rust/oxides building up I cannot say. How about a plastic bag with silicon moister bag inside - ok you will have to plug it back in and it wont protect the female port on the PC.

As a last resort you could leave it all switched on or just the powered Hub - switching on/off electrical equipment actual increase the risk of failure.

Edited by stash

thanks Clive, the pc usb connections are fine, the pc is in the warm room although not always hot in there it is a little more protected, the problem does lie at the hub, i did think about putting it in something or maybe hot gluing the connectors in place although i don`t think this is the best option.

1 hour ago, red dwalf said:

thanks Clive, the pc usb connections are fine, the pc is in the warm room although not always hot in there it is a little more protected, the problem does lie at the hub, i did think about putting it in something or maybe hot gluing the connectors in place although i don`t think this is the best option.

Usually after I hot glue something - it goes wrong:angry:

Does your floor of the obsys ,if wooden, have enough room to create a false "floor cupboard" to put your hub in plus some Silicon Gel bags maybe. I use this "false cupbaord on mine to hide electrics etc  seems to help with dew but rust will arrive eventually i guess- although I still have one powered hub attached to the mount which takes some dew/moist air hammering  and it been ok (fingers cross and no murphy law ).

IMHO Please astro camera makers please can we do away with USB connections of any type and use IP connected cameras  - my outside IP connections very very rarely give me any problems.Hence my "warm room" is in the home - so HWSBO can make me a cuppa.:laugh3:

Yes I have a wooden floor with enough space to put some kind of box into, excellent idea I will look into.

See told you Murphy's law - went to use set up tonight - ZWO wouldn't connect even my IP network went a bit berserk.  I think that ZWO camera (120mm) have major problems  - they dont reset correctly. As i said wouldn't connect -even on the cable they supply and connected to a tablet. However powering down the ZWO (it has a separate power connection so its not powered via USB or the powered hub) and then plugging in the power and camera cable - hey presto it worked again and no more problems. Think my IP problem was that the PC kept trying to connect to the ZWO but kept failing.  GRRrrrrrr :angry: