• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New scope

Guest MattSett

Guest MattSett

hi guys,

Recently i got a Skywatcher 150p reflector. My dad had a go, saw Jupiter's moons, and now wants one. What would you guys suggest would be a good scope for him? I was thinking a refractor as i have a reflector, but not sure. His budget is £200-£300.

Cheers for your help

Matt

I'm pretty new to this too but at £200-300 a certain scope springs to my mind, Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian but someone will most likely recommend something else if you already have a 150p which isn't too far off the 200p.

Edit: Also depends what he wants it for :)

Edited by Eddy

If you want a Planet and Moon scope, I would suggest a 102 or if the budget allows, a127 Mak. you don't have to collimate it as often, if at all compared to a reflector.

It will really do very well on the Moon, I have had some of my best views of the Moon through a 102 Mak. It will show brighter DSO's, double stars and clusters

You just need to leave it to cool that bit longer to get the best out of it.

You will though need dew control for it, as they are dew magnets. A home made dew shield will do to get you going, made from a camping mat, cheap, but effective.

If you observe together then it makes sense to get a different scope so you could share views. In this case I recommend the same as Baz says, a 4" refractor or a 127 Mak.

A mak127 is a good one, larger size than the same cost frac but no false colour like the cheaper fracs on planets