• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet Encke anyone?

Tweedledee

One for Derek perhaps. :)

Comet Encke is in a pretty good position above the western horizon after sunset at magnitude 6 according to Stellarium. It is less than 8 degrees from Venus at the moment just below and slightly to the right. 

Just need a clear evening.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/comet-encke-2017-return

Edited by Tweedledee

At 7:30 pm it's only 7 degrees above the horizon and sinking fast, will be a tough one but possibly just doable.

Can you remember that comet we saw up at Belper many years ago when the roads were shut due to snow, that was low but we managed it!

19 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

At 7:30 pm it's only 7 degrees above the horizon and sinking fast, will be a tough one but possibly just doable.

Can you remember that comet we saw up at Belper many years ago when the roads were shut due to snow, that was low but we managed it!

Yes, 5th April 2013, it was Panstarrs C/2011 L4 on Belper Glacier. Back in the good old days. :)

Deep snow in April!! But that was a great night, and you were the first to spot it I think Daz.  :thumbsup:

Those were the days when we used to get "proper" comets. The ones with a tail you could actually see in the eyepiece. Not the ones we get these days that look like an extremely faint tiny round star through an objective that is just about starting to dew up! :rolleyes:

That's a great article on same Pete, it always amazes me to see how well we can work stuff out! But it really all started out due to good old Halley!

Halley comet (1P/Halley) back in in 1986 was fantastic... i was picking it up in my old 6" newt months before it became naked eye... it was only discernible as a fuzzy ball that just got larger as time passed then blossomed into a great object. The news was full of it for weeks... I had people queuing up to see it on some nights...

We are still seeing the debris from Halley though twice a year, with the Eta aguarids and Orionids as we cut through Halley path twice on our orbit...

with a return due in 2062, I will only be 107 years old ...:facepalm: maybe some of you will be lucky enough to see it!

4 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Think we're due a half decent one in April but can't remember it's name.

Found it. 41p.

It's already a few mag up on what was expected so watch this Space.

https://in-the-sky.org/data/object.php?id=105479&country=239&reg1=991&reg2=11867&town=6229

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Found it. 41p.

Good one. I found 2p behind the cushions on the settee the other night. :D

Cheers Andy, will keep a watch for that brightening up. :thumbsup: