• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Samsung WB1100F or NIKON 3200 to Skywatcher 127

Guest skylark

Guest skylark

Hi, I'm really happy to find this site. My name is Brian and I live on the East Coast.  I've been trying to affix either my Samsung WB1100F or my NIKON 3200 to my Sky-watcher 127. In spite of buying the adapters I thought was right I'm still no nearer taking pictures, I can get the Nikon to fit but camera reports "no lens attached". I wonder if there's anyone on here that might be using the same equipment with success and what do I need to get up and running? It's a hobby for me and coming up to 70 haven't been doing much with the scope. I'm not familiar with all the photographic and astronomy terms either but any help appreciated.

Hi Brian, welcome to EMS.

I'm afraid I'm just a visual monkey so can't offer much advice for imagining, but I'm sure someone who knows will be along soon.

In the mean time enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum BrIan.

I can't help you with the imaging, but you've definitely come to the right place. :)

Brian, I'm going to move your post to the camera thread rather than the mount thread to reach the right people.

Also please feel free to add an introduction in the welcome area.

Brian ,

Have you a lens attached or are you using what is known as a T mount (this attaches to your camera where the lens would go). If you don't have a lens attached (this is how most AP take photographs when using a Telescope) and are using the T-mount with a 1.25inch(or larger)  adapter - looks like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/311383061559?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=39613511478&rlsatarget=pla-277820329919&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046904&device=c&campaignid=737386489&crdt=0 

I suspect  you need to use "manual focus and exposure" setting on the Nikon (sorry I use Canon so dont know how to do this with the Nikon see link below) as using the camera this way means that automatic focusing/exposure isn't possible. Nothing to worry about its normal.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1

The 1.25inch adapter on the end of the T-mount ,with the camera attached, fits into where the eye piece would go. If the Nikon has a "live view" mode then you will have to focus on an object like a street lamp some distance away and adjust the Telescope focuser until the light is in focus. The other setting critical to taking a picture is the exposure (as per normal) but in AP this tend to be longer and uses Bulb settings to enable longer exposure time. The exceptions to this is very bright object like the Moon which require a "faster" setting because it is very bright.

I am sorry if this is  "like telling my grandma to suck eggs".

Maybe someone who knows the Nikon in detail will help.

Note there is a monthly meeting of East Lincolnshire AC which meets down the road near Louth who would gladly help. In fact the next meeting in March (the 18th I think) is just round the corner from you at St Peter's Church, LN11 7BW. South Somercotes as part of British Science Week on March 18th.

Guest skylark
On 01/03/2017 at 12:07, stash said:

Brian ,

Have you a lens attached or are you using what is known as a T mount (this attaches to your camera where the lens would go). If you don't have a lens attached (this is how most AP take photographs when using a Telescope) and are using the T-mount with a 1.25inch(or larger)  adapter - looks like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/311383061559?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=39613511478&rlsatarget=pla-277820329919&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046904&device=c&campaignid=737386489&crdt=0 

I suspect  you need to use "manual focus and exposure" setting on the Nikon (sorry I use Canon so dont know how to do this with the Nikon see link below) as using the camera this way means that automatic focusing/exposure isn't possible. Nothing to worry about its normal.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1

The 1.25inch adapter on the end of the T-mount ,with the camera attached, fits into where the eye piece would go. If the Nikon has a "live view" mode then you will have to focus on an object like a street lamp some distance away and adjust the Telescope focuser until the light is in focus. The other setting critical to taking a picture is the exposure (as per normal) but in AP this tend to be longer and uses Bulb settings to enable longer exposure time. The exceptions to this is very bright object like the Moon which require a "faster" setting because it is very bright.

I am sorry if this is  "like telling my grandma to suck eggs".

Maybe someone who knows the Nikon in detail will help.

Note there is a monthly meeting of East Lincolnshire AC which meets down the road near Louth who would gladly help. In fact the next meeting in March (the 18th I think) is just round the corner from you at St Peter's Church, LN11 7BW. South Somercotes as part of British Science Week on March 18th.

Thank you Clive, a great help. I now have camera coupled up and at least no errors showing. Just waiting for some stars to appear before giving it a whirl. I've noted the info about the meetings and will no doubt be in touch so may see you there one night. You're certainly not teaching your grandmother to suck eggs, I know nothing of astronomy so all information is new stuff for me. Thanks again and as soon as I get any pics I'll show them.

The wise people who know on EMS once told me try everything in the light of day first - so try taking pictures of Wind turbines at sea or something ;) Yes the exposure will be different but at least you will get the hang of it. If you get a remote shutter control thingy on ebay (cheapo one to start with) you will take pictures without causing vibrations. Good luck  and clear skies.

link to ELAC http://www.lincsastro.org

The are on Facebook too.

Guest skylark
On 04/03/2017 at 16:57, stash said:

The wise people who know on EMS once told me try everything in the light of day first - so try taking pictures of Wind turbines at sea or something ;) Yes the exposure will be different but at least you will get the hang of it. If you get a remote shutter control thingy on ebay (cheapo one to start with) you will take pictures without causing vibrations. Good luck  and clear skies.

link to ELAC http://www.lincsastro.org

The are on Facebook too.

Thanks again for advice. Here is my 1st pic of the moon on a very cold night. Why are my pictures turning out all black when on my camera they look ok?. It can only get better

1 hour ago, skylark said:

Thanks again for advice. Here is my 1st pic of the moon on a very cold night. Why are my pictures turning out all black when on my camera they look ok?. It can only get better

Think you forgot you link Brian !!!! Glad you are progressing - its a uphill struggle and so much too learn. But we all start from the bottom.

Hi Brian

Welcome to EMS.

I presume the 127 scope you have is a maksutov,e.g. sky max 127 not a refractor.

These have a 1.25" visual back (eyepiece mount) on them which has a thread on it which I think is a t mount thread. If you have a t adaptor for your camera this enables you to fit the camera directly to the scope without a camera lens. In other words your scope is now the lens.

Once you've done that switch your camera to manual and then have a play focusing and getting exposures right in daylight until you are happy with how it all works, then try the moon.

That's when the fun begins :-)