• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Live stacking of M3 using astrotoaster

stash

Very nice for 30 seconds. :thumbsup:

Electronically Assisted Astronomy seems to be the new buzzword, but is it really a necessary, new and different category? Is it just what astronomers have been doing for years with video astronomy, electronic eyepieces, night vision equipment, CCD and DSLR astrophotography to see better? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. :)

2 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Very nice for 30 seconds. :thumbsup:

Electronically Assisted Astronomy seems to be the new buzzword, but is it really a necessary, new and different category? Is it just what astronomers have been doing for years with video astronomy, electronic eyepieces, night vision equipment, CCD and DSLR astrophotography to see better? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. :)

There is a massive debate going on (has been for a while - look on Cloudynights and SGL) about  EAA  - is it any different and to be honest the lines are blurred between EAA and "normal" Astrophotography.

I think of it as the next logical step, as hardware advances,to viewing and has the BIG advantage it can be done remotely. I don't enjoy standing in the cold but I do enjoying live viewing so EAA ,for me,seems logical. Also I am not an Astrophotographer - one who likes to create stunning photo's of space :ph34r:- not that I don't enjoy looking at photo's and can appreciate the work involved. I like to "view" space and used electronics to view items I would not be able to see in the quickest time possible.

I would be the first to admit the pictures I produce from EAA aren't in the same class but they do represent a reasonable view of what I am looking at in a very short period of time with the kit I have.

Now EAA can produce somewhere near Astrophotography images(in a lot shorter time) but I admit to do this you need to spend a fair bit (more than I am prepared to spend perhaps) - for example people are using Hyperstars coupled with Celestron C6 and larger to produce very fast scopes (about F2) and the images,IMHO,are pretty good and come into "view" very quickly.

Something else that is claimed and is true to a degree you don't need EQ mounts , long exposure times (people aim for around 30-60 secs) ,or guiding (but you can still  use them all - your choice!).

A lot of Camera makes are now producing EAA camera's (Starlight Exp,Atik) and some very good software has been written - e.g. Paul81 on SGL ? Lodestar Live and to say its "the new buzzword" is a bit harsh it is progression , as you say, from Video (still use my Samsung scb2000) etc to something different.

So to sum up  if you like "viewing",want to stay warm,want to do it yourself,like to see DSO's in near real time (ok stop laughing - a minute or 2) and are not too interested in very long exposure Photography(or you might like both!) then EAA might be interesting for "you". 

In the end each to their own and its just another tool in the Astronomers kit. Clear Skies!

P.S. I would love Camera makers to do away with USB connections but one can dream on! 

Although I'm 99% visual, I do have a very sensitive Stellacam 3 video camera, but it is still such a faff to set up and to get the best out of it, and it is limited by low resolution and a tiny FOV/chip size.

I would be willing to spend a lot of money on some gadget that is little more complicated than an eyepiece, that would show me deeper, fainter DSO's etc. in real or near real time. For years I've drooled over reviews of the Collins Electro-Optics Eyepiece and even considered parting with a couple of thousand pounds and smuggling one home from the US. I'd probably end up in in big trouble as they are military type technology and illegal for use outside the US. Recently I nearly bought the new Revolution r2 imager from the US. Although it is reputed to be extremely easy to set up and use, I decided against it as it would probably be less sensitive than my Stellacam.

Of all the gadgets I have studied so far, they all have various limitations and compromises. One day soon, someone will develop the right gadget and take a load of money from me, and I might have some big eyepieces for sale at a bargain price. :)

Maybe that gadget is already on the market, any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Although I'm 99% visual, I do have a very sensitive Stellacam 3 video camera, but it is still such a faff to set up and to get the best out of it, and it is limited by low resolution and a tiny FOV/chip size.

I would be willing to spend a lot of money on some gadget that is little more complicated than an eyepiece, that would show me deeper, fainter DSO's etc. in real or near real time. For years I've drooled over reviews of the Collins Electro-Optics Eyepiece and even considered parting with a couple of thousand pounds and smuggling one home from the US. I'd probably end up in in big trouble as they are military type technology and illegal for use outside the US. Recently I nearly bought the new Revolution r2 imager from the US. Although it is reputed to be extremely easy to set up and use, I decided against it as it would probably be less sensitive than my Stellacam.

Of all the gadgets I have studied so far, they all have various limitations and compromises. One day soon, someone will develop the right gadget and take a load of money from me, and I might have some big eyepieces for sale at a bargain price. :)

Maybe that gadget is already on the market, any suggestions.

Funny i think the guy who created the rev R2 has brought out a cheap and not as good version of the hyperstar called funstar. $99 instead of $1000 for the Hyperstar.

This guy does some reasonable pics but he is on a really light effected place (NOT!) https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/290560-carina-and-centaurus-from-mauna-kea/

and this guy who also spends a great deal of time explaining about what he has captures (sems to know his stuff) https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/290054-a-variety-of-galaxies-in-the-leocomacvn-environs/  and he uses a "Guide" camera the Lodstar X2.

Still as you say "one day". Clear Skies!