• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Barlow lense

catman161

Hey everyone,

Just a quick query is it possible to get a 2 inch Barlow lense or can you only get them in 1.25 inch?

They come in both sizes Felix :)

The 2" ones usually have an adaptor so a 1.25" eyepiece can be used with it.

One word - Powermate lol - they really are superb.

The Antares 1.6x 2" also offers good price/performance for a much lesser amount - especially s/h - remind me next time we meet up and you can try them both for size :)

Yup it's Televue - they just magnify the view without getting in the way - totally transparent :)

You would have to sell a kidney Felix to own one.

Kim just sold his soul to Al Nagler! :lol:

Televue make barlows and powermates. Powermates are optically different to barlows but the end result is similar without, I believe, the light loss that occurs with a regular barlow. I have a 1.25" 2.5x powermate and my quest for loads of eyepieces stopped dead because with the powermate and my three ep's I what I need.

Edited by Rusty Strings

Budget 2" 2x barlow on ebay...

/>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140624259113?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It says high quality, but can anyone comment on this. Cheapest 2" barlow I've seen.

A modest number of ep's can be cover most mags with a decent barlow and they don't come much better than a powermate. The only issue I would have is the amount of ep/powermate that hangs out of the back/side of the scope.

Pete - I wouldn't touch that site with a bargepole. There may be one or two vaguely good pieces amongst the tat - but that would be a big surprise imho. The descriptions accompanying the goods indicate the seller has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. And the inability to spell properly suggests a distinct lack of care about the business and probably the goods too.

Stick with proper astro retailers like FLO, RVO, Green Witch, etc. And go for recognised brands like Skywatcher, Celestron, Meade, Tal, TV, etc. Cheap optics from dodgey retailers rarely satisfy - that's my advice :)

Yes Kim, it does seem to be unbranded. No one is willing to put their name on it :D

I used to have a 31mm 82 degree Televue Nagler and a Televue 2" 2x Big Barlow. Cost an arm and a leg, but I hardly ever bothered using any other ep. Just the Nag on its own or with the barlow. Gave me about 80x or 160x in a 10" LX200.

Couldn't afford much else anyway after getting those :)

Same here Pete - since I went Televue I rarely use any of the other brand eyepieces in my kit - 'cept perhaps the Hyperion zoom which is just so flexible it's unavoidable lol :)