• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Parallel Mount

Graham

Hi all

Been busy again getting ready for the arrival of my new baby.

A Helios 120mm Frac to go with my Helios 200mm Newt.

I have decided that I wanted to mount them side by side so when I am using the Newt I can use the Frac for guiding and vice versa.

So it was raid the Stainless Steel rack and manufacture a mounting bar.

I set up the newt on one leg found the balance point and then welded the leg into place so the balance point is central in the mount.

I then did the same for the Frac.

I have added a central support to remove any chance of sagging or movement in the set up.

The photos give you an idea of how it works.

I will post up more photos when I have it all set up and ready to go.

Thanks

Graham.

Well its me again posting up the photos of the completed set up.

Good grief, that did not take you long, also, what is all that blue stuff in the background of your pictures. Aint got none of that round these parts!

Super bit of DIY there, nice.

Hey I don't hang around when theres important stuff to be made. lol

Once the scope arrived I finished off the mount locked up the workshop and headed off home to fit it.

Well you have to get your priorities right don't you.

That blue stuff wont be here long now its ready to go.

Mind I did have to laugh, when I was doing some test runs to make sure nothing bad happened the Police helicopter flew over.

It did an abrupt 180 and came back to see what the hell I was doing.

I reckon they must have though I was putting together a missile or something.

Anyway it all seems to be working ok I just have to wait for a clear night now to test it for real.

Thanks

Graham

Ha ha, nice. Can just imagine the police come knocking on your asking to see the rocket launcher or hauling you off to the nick!

Flippin eck Graham mounting plate manufactured before 10.41am lol.

That's one hell of a set up and nice to have matching manufactured telescopes too.

How thick is that plate Graham, looks around 6mm ?.

Paul

Hi Paul.

Yes spot on the parallel mount is made from 50mm x 6mm 316 Stainless Steel flat.

Last night I got to use the setup for the first time and I could not be more pleased with the results.

I acutally managed to properly Polar align my scope due to the mod I did with the Brass collet I made.

First thing I did was to swing the scope around to Venus so I could check the alignment of all the scopes.

I set Venus in the centre of the Frac's field of view so I could set up the finder scope.

Once Venus was in the center of the cross hairs I checked the view from the Newt.

Incredibly there was Venus and only very slightly off centre.

So the upshot of this modifacation has to go down as a total success.

I can locate the target in the finder scope and it will be pretty much centered in either scope.

So that makes one very happy bunny located down here in rural Suffolk.

Thanks

Graham

Thanks Ron.

I must admit I am well pleased with the way it turned out.

It will come as no suprise but since I did the comparison test it has been wall to wall cloud ever since.

I am itching to see how the frac does on a galaxy.

I have even managed to get hold of a cheap Cannon 350 D so I can start doing some real DSO stuff.

Graham

Hey I don't hang around when theres important stuff to be made. lol

Once the scope arrived I finished off the mount locked up the workshop and headed off home to fit it.

Well you have to get your priorities right don't you.

That blue stuff wont be here long now its ready to go.

Mind I did have to laugh, when I was doing some test runs to make sure nothing bad happened the Police helicopter flew over.

It did an abrupt 180 and came back to see what the hell I was doing.

I reckon they must have though I was putting together a missile or something.

Anyway it all seems to be working ok I just have to wait for a clear night now to test it for real.

Thanks

Graham

The dark site that the Central midlands stargazers use is right next to the Police helicoptor station and when they return they always hang around hovering before landing while we have 4-6 scopes pointing. :D

The dark site that the Central midlands stargazers use is right next to the Police helicoptor station and when they return they always hang around hovering before landing while we have 4-6 scopes pointing. :D

Christ Andy I bet that goes down well if someone is halfway through a 10 minet sub. lol

They have never popped across to see what we are up to but I guess with their imaging equipment they can see exactly what we are up to!

Andy can you just imagine what sort of pictures you could get if you had their camera on the end of your scope.

Mmmmmm, if only.

I advised someone on Astronomy shed to get in touch with you as they are looking for a peir top for a CGEM mount.