• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Autoguider

dtastro

Looking for a good autoguider to mount on my Skywatcher 9x50 finder. Any suggestions for a good reliable guider. I think I'll be using PHD2, but open for suggestions for that.  I use a Macbook so it has to be Mac compatible - thanks.

Lodestar x2 looks great but might be a bit out of my budget. Has anyone used the QHY5 II. If so, what is it like for reliability

31 minutes ago, dtastro said:

Lodestar x2 looks great but might be a bit out of my budget. Has anyone used the QHY5 II. If so, what is it like for reliability

Have the qhy5l-11 not used it to auto guide yet , many do with great success been a good camera 

Dont get an ZWO 120(version 1) - IMHO its a pain in the bum and not very reliable - even the manufacturer says its not very "USB Hub/Repeater" friendly. Pity as the camera itself works well,especially on short 2m usb cables, - when it works!!!

I have used everything from a webcam through the qhy5 up to my current camera which is an original loadstar. 

The loadstar wins hands down. 

23 hours ago, dtastro said:

I have the qhy5-II mono. Cheap and cheerful. Always works and I always find a guide star easily. I know there are better guide cams out there but I can recommend this one. 

Although from what what I've read more people seem to like the QHY5L-II mono. Again a little bit more money but not in lodestar territory. 

I have the Qhy5 and it's excellent, cheap and it does what it says on the tin. But I don't think they are Mac compatible

2 hours ago, philjay said:

I have the Qhy5 and it's excellent, cheap and it does what it says on the tin. But I don't think they are Mac compatible

They will be soon. PHD2 have a beta with it included for Mac.

I too use a QHY5 not tried it at anything other than as a guider...