• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Horizon BBC2 9pm tonight

Tweedledee

Horizon: Strange Signals from Outer Space! - 9.00pm

The scientists scouring the universe for signs of extraterrestrial life, including the film researchers at the Green Bank Telescope searching for radio signals from 'Tabby's Star', a star so mysterious some scientists believe it might be surrounded by a Dyson Sphere - a vast energy collector built by advanced aliens. The film also features the 2006 discovery by husband and wife team Duncan Lorimer and Maura McLaughlin of an enigmatic signal from space, known as a fast radio burst, and its subsequent explanations

• Like 4

Tabbys Star can't have a Dyson sphere as it was destroyed in Star Trek TNG (Season 6 Episode 4 "Relics")

5 hours ago, Seamaster said:

Tabbys Star can't have a Dyson sphere as it was destroyed in Star Trek TNG (Season 6 Episode 4 "Relics")

Nah! Different time line. This really is a Dyson Sphere. :D

Having just watched this  I cannot help thinking that they could easily have the same relevant content in  30 minutes.

Have drone will use it etc etc

Grumps off back to my cave.

• Like 2

I agree, 30 minutes of real content padded out with pointless and irrelevant footage.

Still, an enjoyable and interesting program.

However, any race technologically advanced enough to be capable of building a Dyson sphere would know about us way before we knew about them.

Therefore if we haven't heard from them it begs the question..."why not"?

Either they are aware and don't care or are already "dealing" with us or that somehow being able to build a DS doesn't necessarily mean they have cracked the conundrum of FTL travel or interstellar communication in "real time"?

Perhaps they found us ages ago, say 50,000 years ago, sent a signal (or a ship) and it may arrive any time now???

Oh dear my head just popped!!!

I watched some of it, got bored and fell asleep. A typical dumbed down and padded BBC prog where they weren't really trying IMHO

• Like 1

Interesting but unconvincing...I started to drop off too and I watched it this morning :-)

It's an intriguing subject and I feel we are working steadily towards finding extraterrestrial life.

Any life found elsewhere will be an incredible event with profound outcomes.

Finding intelligent life capable of sending radio waves strong enough for our current technology to see is going to be a tough nut to crack! 

This tv program abounded with suspense and spooky music but little substance... one still has to watch though to see where we are at!