• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Proof the moon landings were faked!!

tuckstar

Maybe I was "out of it" back in the 80's, because I seriously have never heard of or seen this Button Moon thing. :rolleyes:

Are we sure that it is not fake news, fake memories, implanted memories, altered history, or have I been in a different timeline or parallel universe? :dontknow:

I do vaguely remember The Clangers. :)

Button Moon must have been aimed at girls :ph34r: Peter Davison / Angie Dickinson created the theme tune :o

I speak Clanger and a bit of Soup Dragon - with a Nottinghamshire accent of course :D.

Cant you tell its raining and near to the Longest day ! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Maybe I was "out of it" back in the 80's, because I seriously have never heard of or seen this Button Moon thing. :rolleyes:

Are we sure that it is not fake news, fake memories, implanted memories, altered history, or have I been in a different timeline or parallel universe? :dontknow:

I do vaguely remember The Clangers. :)

I'm afraid your just showing your age Pete!:ph34r:

1 minute ago, tuckstar said:

I'm afraid your just showing your age Pete!:ph34r:

That explains it then, my miss spent youth. :D 

I was getting a bit worried with all these conspiracy theories around. :D

Dare I say bill and Ben and Fireball XL5 were more my era! :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Dare I say bill and Ben and Fireball XL5 were more my era! :facepalm:

I wonder if Robert the robot's voice was the inspiration for the voices of the daleks, or vice-versa? If you came from a planet nearer the Sun you had a higher-pitched voice.

Hold on, am I confusing Fireball XL5 and Space Patrol?

I have fond memories of Fireball XL5, Bill & Ben and Little Weeeed, but I don't recall Space Patrol being part of my universe. :D

21 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I wonder if Robert the robot's voice was the inspiration for the voices of the daleks, or vice-versa? If you came from a planet nearer the Sun you had a higher-pitched voice.

Hold on, am I confusing Fireball XL5 and Space Patrol?

Fireball XL5 had a robot with a pressure cocker release value but I dont think he talked much but did blow his value top. Maybe you are thinking of Zoony "Welcome home" phrase. As for Space Patrol all the Aliens (Venus high pitched voiced like a girl,Mars low deep harsh voice etc) had voices but the robots that looked after the space craft (i.e. Real Gyro scope toy that ran up wires in the series) while "the crew" were asleep on long journeys.

Now we are into my territory :) The robot in Fireball XL5s main line was "On our way home"

Space Patrol, ah yes. "Gamma sphere On" That was part of the starting sequence for the ship I think.

Ok, gonna really show my age, Mike Mercury and Supercar,  an early Jerry Anderson show. And from my very early childhood, Torchy the battery boy.

Edited by philjay

A bit early for me Phil but I have watched Space Patrol second time round. I think it was Galasphere not Gamma Sphere.

I remember Mike Mercury (Supercar) and Torchy too. Also Four Feather Falls, Muffin the Mule, and Wooden Tops (which I think was a little later) lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I fully accept the Moon landings.  Its the landings on Button Moon that I believe were faked.  As were all landings on the Sun.

(actually, I kid you not, when I was around 9, I was talking to some other children in the neighbourhood about the Sun being a star and one of the parents was convinced it wasnt because 'How are we able to land on it then?'  I mean, where do you start...)

I also once worked with a guy who was convinced Earths gravity was as a result of its spin.  Despite my astronomical experience (and lack of a degree) he was convinced that his degree in engineering, specifically the works of IK Brunel somehow trumped me...  He WOULD NOT be told otherwise.  I felt moderately guilty at the time but I ended up laughing ('against which the gods themselves contend in vain' as it were...).

2 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

I fully accept the Moon landings.  Its the landings on Button Moon that I believe were faked.  As were all landings on the Sun.

(actually, I kid you not, when I was around 9, I was talking to some other children in the neighbourhood about the Sun being a star and one of the parents was convinced it wasnt because 'How are we able to land on it then?'  I mean, where do you start...)

I also once worked with a guy who was convinced Earths gravity was as a result of its spin.  Despite my astronomical experience (and lack of a degree) he was convinced that his degree in engineering, specifically the works of IK Brunel somehow trumped me...  He WOULD NOT be told otherwise.  I felt moderately guilty at the time but I ended up laughing ('against which the gods themselves contend in vain' as it were...).

"Earth's gravity was as a result of its spin" be a bit careful there as the famous Xmas lectures given by Dr Porter and Eric Laithwaite (also an Engineer) challenged the theory of gravity using a gyroscope(Eric) and Dr Porter should you could lift an object on the end of a long rod when it was spun very fast. Although Eric later said he was mistaken there are plenty of very very intelligent professors who would still argue against the now accepted theory. IMHO its better to keep and open mind and  question the accepted - just in case it's wrong. Plus "wacky" views are a matter of opinion and some great inventions have come about when they were initially called mad - plus even the best get it wrong -  Galileo thought " the tides were caused by the sloshing back and forth of water in the seas as a point on the Earth's surface sped up and slowed down because of the Earth's rotation on its axis and revolution around the Sun." - even though we have more than one tide a day.  So be careful what you laugh at ;)

2 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

There are so many misconceptions out there (especially regarding astronomy) that would be proved wrong with even a very basic knowledge of science. Some people seem to have such a strong "belief" about these things and just won't see reason.

As for this Button Moon thing... I believe that it is an implanted memory that you lot have talked up until you totally believe there was actually such a thing. I even found this Button Moon on the internet, so the conspiracy goes far bigger and deeper than I thought!!!!! :o :D

24 minutes ago, stash said:

"Earth's gravity was as a result of its spin" be a bit careful there as the famous Xmas lectures given by Dr Porter and Eric Laithwaite (also an Engineer) challenged the theory of gravity using a gyroscope(Eric) and Dr Porter should you could lift an object on the end of a long rod when it was spun very fast. Although Eric later said he was mistaken there are plenty of very very intelligent professors who would still argue against the now accepted theory. IMHO its better to keep and open mind and  question the accepted - just in case it's wrong. Plus "wacky" views are a matter of opinion and some great inventions have come about when they were initially called mad - plus even the best get it wrong -  Galileo thought " the tides were caused by the sloshing back and forth of water in the seas as a point on the Earth's surface sped up and slowed down because of the Earth's rotation on its axis and revolution around the Sun." - even though we have more than one tide a day.  So be careful what you laugh at ;)

I agree that a lot of totally way out ideas eventually result in accepted theory. I regularly read stuff about new theories and ideas from respected scientists on the internet and in New Scientist and Scientific American that seem totally wacky. I have found this more and so in recent years and I'm not sure if some of it is presented that way to attract a wider range of readers. A lot of new breaking science comes across as even more exciting than some of the science fiction I read. Anyway, just look at quantum physics for some real way out wacky stuff. :o

27 minutes ago, stash said:

Then again Stash, as Carl Sagan said, 'But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.'

Let the evidence be your guide.  I mean, quoting lectures which challenge the theory of gravity and turn out to be wrong is hardly very pursuasive in questioning that particular piece of 'the accepted' when that piece of evidence turns out to be misinterpreted.  Thats the nature of science.  

Oh, and as to many intelligent professors arguing against accepted theory, I would also refer back to Doctor Sagan with, '“Arguments from authority carry little weight – authorities have made mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts.”  Again, evidence rules...

Question, certainly, by all means and keep an open mind to new and more pursuasive evidence, but test the evidence first (and have it peer reviewed too...) before making pronouncements.

I'll only laugh at those who make claims that fly in the face of the evidence and have nothing to support what can only be at best an hypothesis (as per Galileo above, which flew in the face of what could be observed)

I just try to never laugh at other people even if I think (or the rest of the world) they are wrong. I accept its their believe, which they are entitled too , and just beg to differ.

Being honest "laughing at"  as opposed to "laughing with" is something I frown upon greatly - maybe that's something my generation,well in the area I lived, were taught to believe .

But  I accept we are different. :)

If I told you 10 years ago that there were Ice volcanos on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, you would of laughed, a similar thing to Jupiters rings, but now we know such things exist and we have the photos.

Not saying we should believe everything, just have an open yet skeptical approach.

Edited by tuckstar

37 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

If I told you 10 years ago that there were Ice volcanos on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, you would of laughed, a similar thing to Jupiters rings, but now we know such things exist and we have the photos.

Not saying we should believe everything, just have an open yet skeptical approach.

Maybe a bit longer than 10 years ago Andy. I did an Open University course about 10 years ago that dealt in great detail with cryovolcanism with an emphasis on this activity on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. At the time, I remember it being a very old course that was about to be discontinued and updated. But you are correct there is some weird and wonderful stuff being discovered. :thumbsup:

Many years ago Fellow of the Royal Society J.B.S. Haldane (1892-1964) was quoted as saying...

"Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

Due to more recent connotation of words, the quote was morphed into...

"The Universe is not only weirder than we imagine, but weirder than we can imagine."

Edited by Tweedledee

8 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Maybe a bit longer than 10 years ago Andy. I did an Open University course about 10 years ago that dealt in great detail with cryovolcanism with an emphasis on this activity on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.

Yeah 10 years was maybe a bit short term, but you get my drift though. ?

I probably should amend my 'laughing at' comments... What I really meant was laughing at the wilfully ignorant.  When someones been told, when a simple bit of reading will show what the truth is and someone still perversely dismisses all evidence then I find (as in the case of moon hoaxers, believers in homeopathy etc, etc) that laughing is one of the few rational responses.  Of course, by all means believe what you like in the privacy of your own head but the trouble is, often these erroneous and damaging beliefs have a way of finding their way to those unable to differentiate fact from fiction (often children) which in itself can have damaging effects (homeopathy, I'm looking at you...).  So, I say by all means ridicule silly mindsets and dont grant them the dignity of 'everyones entitled to their beliefs' - as I say, believe in your own head if you must but it rarely stops there.

Of course, conversely, if someone doesnt know something, or is mistaken and willing to be corrected, no shame whatsoever in that. We're all supposedly learning all the time.  Genuine curiosity is entirely admirable.