• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How doing your homework pays off

Bottletopburly

It's a 16" LX200 in a dome! :)

Looks like a noobie with plenty of money.

surely you wouldn't dive in at the deep end without having some sort of idea what your buying,considering a quick google can find you instructions telling you step by step what to do .googled the camera near on 4K just for the camera 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Most noobies would dip their toe in with a secondhand 200p. He might be a millionaire dipping his toe for a "mere" £30,000. :)

But yes, most people would do some research and get on the learning curve with simpler, cheaper kit first.

We might find the whole lot on ABS for a bargain price if nobody polar aligns it for him. :lol:

• Like 2

We all have to learn how to use our equipment. But that is half the fun and it can be challenging, but still a joy.

i probably have a similar setup to him, although I have had lots experience with more than several other setups and I have gradually evolved over several decades to my current setup.  I thoroughly researched every part of it before committing too...

I had previously seen his ad and can sympathise with his problems but ideally he would benefit more by sorting it out himself, one step at a time learning at every stage, or he will always struggle...

• Like 3

If he was nearer I'd have no probs poping over to give him a hand just for the chance to get hands on with a bunch of very nice gear. Sounds like the type who wants to be taught, rather than fiddle along working it out on his own with entry level equipment - nothing wrong with that - especially if he's affluent enough and willing to pay (though I'd never charge anything). It's kinda like signing up for a college course or paying to go to uni really if you think about it.

If he really wanted to pay something I'd maybe suggest a charity donation or chip in to EMS funds - at least he's showing an interest in the hobby, albeit on a level most folks aren't familiar with. :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

surely you wouldn't dive in at the deep end without having some sort of idea what your buying,considering a quick google can find you instructions telling you step by step what to do .googled the camera near on 4K just for the camera 

What difference does it make how much it costs - Prem footballers are said to bet on Saturdays around 10,000 pounds because they are bored waiting for the game. To them its chicken feed. So it might be the same to this person. So he is learning but with more expensive hardware to many of us - no big deal.   Hands up all those ,even after researching,bought kit that didn't quite work as expected and then had to learn "on the job" (mines up) .  He is just asking for help AND willing to pay - although most Astro people would help free of charge no matter how much the kit cost at either end of the spectrum.

I did come across a gent, from oil rich country, who's first car after getting his UK license was a brand new Ferrari. :( He scrounged a lift of a fellow employee in a clap out Toyota Celica who was a bit upset that he didnt get a test drive.:facepalm: 

1 hour ago, stash said:

What difference does it make how much it costs - Prem footballers are said to bet on Saturdays around 10,000 pounds because they are bored waiting for the game. To them its chicken feed. So it might be the same to this person. So he is learning but with more expensive hardware to many of us - no big deal.   Hands up all those ,even after researching,bought kit that didn't quite work as expected and then had to learn "on the job" (mines up) .  He is just asking for help AND willing to pay - although most Astro people would help free of charge no matter how much the kit cost at either end of the spectrum.

I did come across a gent, from oil rich country, who's first car after getting his UK license was a brand new Ferrari. :( He scrounged a lift of a fellow employee in a clap out Toyota Celica who was a bit upset that he didnt get a test drive.:facepalm: 

Makes no difference how much at all , I'd love to be in that position , maybe assuming he bought new why he didn't ask the dealer to set it up for him , I did email the chap when he first posted that maybe if he asked on SGL he would probably get a better response .

Well there are some moneyed people about (I'm not one of them!). Apparently some wealthy people start off with 8" SCTs. One thing that I've noticed is that I just don't do enough night-time observing and photography to justify spending any significant sum of money (i.e. > £1 000). This year, due to illness and the need to get up ridiculously early for work, I've hardly observed at all and many times I have left a camera in the back garden to shoot away while I'm inside. One of my best buys ever has to be an intervalometer which I paid £15 for. I can leave a camera taking a series of shots while I'm indoors or scanning the night sky with my bins. I could even webcam something while my DSLR is snapping away.

I'm lucky that I haven't made too many unsuccessful purchases.

Using myself as an example, I will hopefully be able to observe and snap more when (if???) I ever retire but then comes the issue that I would probably struggle to replace stuff in the house when it goes wrong, let alone astronomy gear.

4 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

Well there are some moneyed people about (I'm not one of them!). Apparently some wealthy people start off with 8" SCTs.

I seem to remember TV presenter Johnathon Ross having his own backyard 8" SCT on a Stargazing Live program a year or two back. Hope he still uses it, or maybe he's upgraded. :)

4 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

Using myself as an example, I will hopefully be able to observe and snap more when (if???) I ever retire but then comes the issue that I would probably struggle to replace stuff in the house when it goes wrong, let alone astronomy gear.

The best solution all round could be if the guy with the domed 16" buddies-up with an intelligent, *equipmentally challenged*, amateur astronomer. :D

I'm sure the guy is going to need a lot more help after his polar alignment is finally sorted.

21 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I seem to remember TV presenter Johnathon Ross having his own backyard 8" SCT on a Stargazing Live program a year or two back. Hope he still uses it, or maybe he's upgraded. :)

The best solution all round could be if the guy with the domed 16" buddies-up with an intelligent, *equipmentally challenged*, amateur astronomer. :D

I'm sure the guy is going to need a lot more help after his polar alignment is finally sorted.

Anyone in mind ? , I emailed the chap earlier said to email FLO  they may be able to help or know someone who can , he emailed me to say thanks and has emailed FLO ?

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:07, Tweedledee said:

I know someone equipmentally challenged but he's mentally challenged as well. Maybe he's FUNDA mentally challenged, too.