Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Sign in to follow this  
Sunny Phil

Vertical Lines from DSS

Sunny Phil

The good news is that I actually got out under a dark(ish) sky lately. The bad news is that DSS sometimes fails to stack or produces a "nice" dark frame! More common is that I end up with a series of vertical lines of 50 shades of grey. Has anyone else had this?

I'm using a 75-300mm zoom lens.

stash

I had a similar experience on a couple of occasions. After checking what went in I found a number of "duff" images - removing them and redoing dss produced better results. However I have had other occasions when DSS has "thrown a wobbly" - the cure on these occasions was to clear all the no image files in the folder where the images are and reprocess them again. I use Astrotoaster which calls DSS and this has a "delete temp" files button which seems to help.  I think its DSS "getting its knickers in a twist".