• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Webcam?

Perkil8r

Obviously the cam of choice is often the Philips SPC9000 or what ever it is, but not wanting to have my pants pulled down and after a bit of research it appears the the Toucan Pro and the X-Box live view have the same sony ccd chip in them. So, simple question to start with, which one would you go for? Both available sub £10

Next one is, the 8800? was flashed to think it was a 9000 as I understand it, would the two above require flashing, or will they be fine as they are? If they do need flashing, how would one go about doing such a thing? Do any mods need doing to enable long exposures? The rest of it I think I understand Re removing the lens etc... I would assume the same sort of mods will need doing although the actual practical doing of it might differ slightly, but should be very similar?

Have I missed anything here? Oh, and what software would I need to start capturing footage, is it sharpcap?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fluke

Hi bud, cant help you with which of the webcams to go for but I use sharpcap with my spc900 and it does a decent job - defo better than vlounge that phillips suggest using.