• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

RVO

Guest Tweedledum

Guest Tweedledum

Pete transported me to RVO this avo, anticipatiion like kid in a sweet shop, had been to Killamarsh before they moved a couple of years ago...Disappointment was heavy, little in the way of stock, no pricing on the bits they had on display, no proper kit to play with. The only what looked like new stuff was the RVO badged fracs.

But what surprised me more was the lack of engagement, especially from the service on line.

Oh well a stop off for a decent coffee saved the day...And sorting out some software issues!..

Cheers

Guest Mark Payton

Shame that, last time I was there to pick up an EP (which they price matched) I did comment on the number of scopes.

I hope it isnt a bad sign.

Since Damian and I are both on the lookout for a new scope and associated goodies, maybe someone can point us in the direction of another shop within an hour or two Mansfield, which might have something bigger and more inspiring than the 8" Celestron SCT we saw at RVO this afternoon.

Has anyone been to the Widescreen Centre in Nottingham recently? Do they have much variety in stock these days?

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Kim,

Widescreen Centre did have a shop on Lady Bay Road, West Bridgeford. I have been there several times a few years ago. The shop at that address is still referenced by Google.

I just looked on Google Maps Street view and the shop is still there with Widescreens sign but it is now empty. So they must have consolidated to London.

Thanks for the Sherwoods suggestion.

I was at RVO last weekend, there stock was well down on previous visits but Adam said it's the busiest 3 months they've ever had!

Guest Tweedledum

I took the cover off the cpc, the corrector plate was foul and there were bits on the primary. But I was amazed again at the lack of engagement, I am after a 12" sct when i asked about the lx90 v lx200, I was asked if I had ordered one... no real interest, this was a shock from my encounter when I had my newt collimated, they were great. Today I found them not interested in the shop, the bits we asked about (finder & barlow) had to be checked on their system. oh and the rings were £75 extra..

We left after a short time..

You got me all excited for a moment there Pete - I woulda been straight over to Nottingham being a pest all weekend lol. :)

I've never visited Sherwoods - but I've bought one or two bits by phone and online and it's a good service. I think you have to book a time with them for personal visits.

I went to the widescreen centre in nottm many years ago, I found the guy there the most unhelpful person I had ever dealt with, in fact I walked out with the cash I was going to spend still in my pocket, I never went back....

I remember buying at Nottingham just before it closed.

Seem to remember that the guy that ran it was retiring, and no one else took over

From my point of view, he seemed OK

Maybe if the Brian Cox effect happened 20 years ago, they would still be there

You got me all excited there. Iv'e googled it, and it directs me to the real Widescreen centre in London. No evidence of either a scope or just a TV shop now.

Damn shame.

The Nottingham (Lady Bay) Widescreen centre shop closed some time around 2005 - a friend of mine used to work there a bit. I never went in but they had plenty of scopes on display.

Just shows how much behind the times I am these days :rolleyes: .

At least, I got a few of you excited at the prospect of a telescope shop in Nottingham :P .

Kim, I remember visiting Sherwoods a long time ago when they were in the Great Western Shopping Arcade in Birmingham. They had quite a good range of interesting stock. I checked the arcade online, but obviously Sherwoods are not there anymore and a quarter of the arcade units are "to let". Just a sign of the times.

Does anyone know if Stockport Binocular and Telescope Centre carry much stock. Manchester isn't a million miles away.

Cheers everyone.

Guest Fluke

Ive always fancied having a look here:

/>http://www.astronomyandnature.com/

Looks like they've got plenty on show

Ely is only an hour or so away from A1 Newark

What do you drive?? A Ferrari? It's not an easy journey, so if you go give yourself extra time!!

Green Witch would be quicker? Not far off the A1 at St Neots?

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

Ive always fancied having a look here:

http://www.astronomyandnature.com/

Looks like they've got plenty on show

Ely is only an hour or so away from A1 Newark

Good well stocked showroom, they are not pushy either but I was not convinced of they're level of knowledge.

They had what looked like a cracking TMB 200 refractor sitting on a shelf (almost hidden) and when I asked about it out of curiosity they said it was a big disappointment and was out-performed by a SW 120ed.

If approaching from the A1 go through St Ives as Sat nav tends to take the long route down the A14 and back up through Ely.

I would second Greenwich as they really know their stuff but they are on the more expensive side. I went to their old showroom which was well stocked with a lovely 16" lightbridge taking centre stage.

Edited by andyboy1970