• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ronchi Eyepiece

Bottletopburly

Has anyone a ronchi eyepiece ,are they any good /worth it ?

Never tried one, but I've read that the Gerd Neuman version is a very good one to go for.

I have used one many moons ago. It was either my first or second star party and I borrowed one from a member from SGL to check my 16" dob.

I think it was pretty easy to use, if I remember right you need to use it with a x2 barlow and look at a bright star with it. The view you get will show lines, as long as these lines are smooth and regular then your optics are OK. 

You need to know what you are looking at if there are irregularities in the image.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

You need to know what you are looking at if there are irregularities in the image.

I think the Gerd Newman version comes with a chart explaining exactly what each possible arrangement of lines tells you about the quality of the optics.

That would be great help Pete. As i said it was a long time ago and someone explained the lines, zones, and gaps to me but I cannot remember now. 

I take its more use for checking mirror quality than checking collimation  ?

On 7/7/2017 at 10:36, Bottletopburly said:

I take its more use for checking mirror quality than checking collimation  ?

It won't help with your collimation. :)

• Like 1

Never used one. They are for checking the figuring on your mirror, similar principle to the foucault test when polishing. A grating or knife edge gives a straight line, then if the reflections show up wonky then something is amiss