• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Perseids meteor shower just round the corner... ooo's and Wows to come!

Smithysteve

The 2017 Perseids will peak on the night of August 12, (a Saturday)

Last year was pretty impressive I thought, (I managed a personal best and bagged 40 meteors from my restricted back garden). The moon will be gibbous and may detract a bit, but it is fairly low, around 14 degrees above our horizon at midnight...

Meteor spotting makes a change from looking through scopes etc and give you the opportunity of just just wandering around the sky marvelling at the awesome majesty of it all! And then, a flash, hopefully leaving an ionised trail that quickly melts away... splendid stuff that most people miss and don't even think about...

It is even better if you can share the experience with others too!

I got lots of 'ooo's and a few 'WOWS' last year and hope for clear skies and a similar experience this year!

• Like 2

Was a good year last year - even my Mrs came outside to watch - he saw more than me :bat:

• Like 1

Always quite magical to see a meteor. Especially the ones that leave a trail for a few seconds. :)