• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Perseids have started

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Nice ,clouded out here last night though

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get a few clear nights this week.

I saw three within around 1-2 hours but was frankly disappointed?

I thought it would be a little more "full on" as in a full blown meteor "shower" rather than a slight meteor "dribble" :(

Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic?

I decided to go to bed.

I was a bit dissapointed as well. Saw about half a dozen Saturday night in a couple of hours.Moon didn't help any. Was hoping for a repeat of a few years ago when I saw 75 in a few hours.

Edited by tuckstar

We saw about 30 Saturday night and only 6 last night all were small but some were very bright

I waited until about half eleven when the neighbours were going to bed. I saw six good ones and a few meh ones. The Moon started to rise, so I thought I'll see how it goes. I woke up with the Moon well up in the sky, so I went to bed. It was a bit poor even by the Perseid standards, nothing like the rate that was predicted.

It looks like whatever peak there was, nobody caught it. For those who haven't watched before, you should expect rates of about 20 per hour at the most, or one every 3 minutes. I agree that the term "shower" is rather a misnomer. Some showers recognised by the International Meteor Organisation have a peak rate of two per hour. Even if the conditions allow you to see 20 per hour, it doesn't mean you will see one regularly every 3 minutes. One of my photos shows two (albeit faint ones) together. Anything I record on my camera should be doubled as my camera is "developing" images half the time.

One fact has emerged: I have picked up a lot of faint Perseids on camera. I've also seen a lot of sporadic meteors, suggesting that the 10 per hour accepted figure may be an underestimate.

This is my story so far: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/august-2017.html

I was 100% clouded out last night and it looks like tonight is a write-off too. I will keep persevering for a few days.

Nothing since Sunday. It was supposed to be clear for a while last night but it was raining.

Should be clear tonight but I'll believe it if I see it.