• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

UK 'saturated' by light pollution

Craig

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17665397

The comments are full of misinformed morons who comment on things they clearly do not understand.

OMG - :blink:

I saw this article this morning and started reading some of the comments but they are just getting worse!

Some muppet going completly off topic about how we should ban grass and lay more pavements - WTF!!!

I was quite happy that at last somebody somewhere is actually trying to get the issues resolved (and not just from a clear skies perspective) but I fear that with off hand comments like that, the cause will be short lived.

Good on the need-less and any other light polution group for trying though - keep up the good work and hopefully (but not expecting anything) the government/local councils will do something about it!

If you said to people that Council tax would be cut if lights were turned off, I wonder how many would change their tune.

I don't think the average person has any idea how much the electricity to run, and maintenance of street lighting costs.

mmmm interesting, we have still got a long way to go to win this battle. :angry:

They ran this item on The Wright Stuff, preceding it with the results of a poll which declared the lack of evidence for an increase in crime without street lights, only the perception of increased crime. A member of the audience later went on to comment about the increased muggings that would result in the dark.

They ran this item on The Wright Stuff, preceding it with the results of a poll which declared the lack of evidence for an increase in crime without street lights, only the perception of increased crime. A member of the audience later went on to comment about the increased muggings that would result in the dark.

And that's the mind set we somehow have to change.

I think the thing that gets me, even with some of my friends, is the "perceived" threat of crime. "It's all going to happen when it's dark", OK and where will you be, at home like you always are.

These people are not wandering the streets waiting to get mugged, they are watching the TV.

That's until the nights get lighter, then they will be in their gardens turning sausages and chicken back into carbon. NOT getting mugged.