• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Life on Mars?

Craig

Interesting, could just be a statistical anomaly but still worth keeping an eye on, thought it might of made more news than that though?

It wouldn't suprise me, more chance of life on mars than under a frozen jovian moon me thinks.....

It wouldn't suprise me, more chance of life on mars than under a frozen jovian moon me thinks.....

Ohh, I thought the opposite, purley down to the fact there is water (allthough under miles and miles of ice) but scientists thought that the tectonic movements would warm the lower regions of water and given the right conditions life may exsist.

With Mars there is very little atmosphere, radiation would be a problem and potentially the lack of water?

Still, all still very much up in the air, who knows, there could be life on the moon for all we know!

Guest Ely Ellis

Funny, I was reading that one today. Very interesting. I remember the Mars Viking landers well, and found it very interesting at the time. Funny how way back then, they managed to put 2 landers on Mars (that worked) yet today they seem to struddle (or struggle) to get things to survive the landings etc.

Ohh, I thought the opposite, purley down to the fact there is water (allthough under miles and miles of ice) but scientists thought that the tectonic movements would warm the lower regions of water and given the right conditions life may exsist.

Both worlds have things going for them. Mars once had an atmosphere not too disimilar to our own and, whilst too short lived for complex life, may have spawned the very microbial life we now seek. The Jovian moon by contrast still has an abundance of water with, as you say, possible geological activity that could create heat... Heat and water, the perfect conditions for crude life to develop.

I'd say the next few years are going to be very interesting.

If you cast your mind back to not so long ago, everyone said life without sunlight was not possible.

Then they found the "Black Smoker" stacks at the bottom of deep trench's in the Oceans, there right in front of the camera was life, which used Chemo-synthesis, not Photosynthesis.

There is a theory, which say's life is possible on Venus, in a concentrated acid atmosphere, at 400 odd degrees Celsius, and 1500 PSI.

There may well be something which has evolved to exist there, just because as we haven't found it, and assume it would stand a chance, is no real reason to discount it, however unlikely.

The Viking Lander's bring the odd memory or two back.

Mainly bombing on a biology essay, in which I sort of made a very poor case for it being biological, in view of the fact they may discover life there. I did enjoy spending many lessons doing Mars and space stuff though.

How ironic if they did find life there after all, eh Mrs Winterbottom. (Yeah, we laughed, but she was a schoolboy's dream)

I was reading the other day about new water flows on mars. Just my gut feeling but it still seems the best candidate for some sort of life if there is any in our solar system apart for earths.

I guess I would agree with you Dave, with one slight addition...

I was reading the other day about new water flows on mars. Just my gut feeling but it still seems the best candidate for some sort of life (as we know it) if there is any in our solar system apart for earths.

What I love about life is that we've only had exposure to life that we can see and touch. Martyn's example was superb, life without light, so we really don't know what we'll find on an alient world like Mars, the Jovian moons or any other worlds.

I really hope we find something, somewhere, within my lifetime.

I think its very likely that life has existed on mars at some point, life took to earth almost straight away before we have the favorable conditions we have on earth today so I would imagine that mars had a similar start in life and I would hardly be surprised to find life of some form in most places. If only we spent more cash trying to find it instead of being ready to blow each other up