• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2017 - winners announced

Top stuff, so pleased for you, excellent work.

Glad you ignored me and went ahead with it, I feel quite bad now.

So I suppose the saying "If it seems too good to be true, it usual is" needs to be taken with a hint of scepticism from time to time.

Thank you my dear fellow champions of the night sky.  After the IMO conference,  I went to Belgrade and stayed a couple of nights. I needed the Sunday evening to recover from sleep dep caused by burning the candle at both ends. Monday was a great day. Afte a great breakfast, and 3 coffees, i went to the park that is on a high point, overlooking the two riverss that flow into the Danube. Breathtaking views. There is a fortress which was good to walk around, listening to my singer friend Justina Carubia. After that, i had a great evening in the city at a restaurant. Next day, i had enough time to visit the Nikola Tesla museum, which was good.  I flew from Serbia to Paris, then on to Newcastle.  The X-ray machine broke down so my bags were handsearched and tested with their sniffer machines. All passengers were checked that way = big queue.  The staff were panicking.  I had a bag full of medicines in capsules and said, look at all those chemicals in that bag, I'm a chemist and know what you're testing for.

Glad you had a nice time Derek. :)

Would be interested to see any sightseeing photos from Belgrade if you wanted to share them.

On 9/26/2017 at 10:35, BAZ said:

I blame you Guy, :D I have heard about the commitment you put in to this as well. Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

Dunno how I missed this thread. Big congratulations Derek - brilliant image and recognition well earned from significant members of the astronomy community. :thumbsup::)

On 9/28/2017 at 20:59, Tweedledee said:

Glad you had a nice time Derek. :)

Would be interested to see any sightseeing photos from Belgrade if you wanted to share them.

Yes Pete, I'll sort some Belgrade pics. What should I do for the best, upload to My Drive and share or send a private link?

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yes Pete, I'll sort some Belgrade pics. What should I do for the best, upload to My Drive and share or send a private link?

Thanks Derek. Whatever is easiest for you.