• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New career when past my sell-by date

I start a new job tomorrow but don't know what I can and can't say on social media. I am doing something totally and utterly different to what I've done before. At 62 and a half, I should probably be looking for sheltered accommodation and swapping my Mak and heavy tripod for a small APO or ED, etc, etc.

To cut a long story short, I have not been able to find lucrative, secure employment, so am taking a big leap in the dark!

Good luck with it Pill. I wouldn't say anything about your job on social media at all if I were you. It's the only way to be safe from potential grief. Some places don't even like you to advertise the company or position you have with them. All the best on your first day. :)

1 minute ago, Brantuk said:

Good luck with it Pill. I wouldn't say anything about your job on social media at all if I were you. It's the only way to be safe from potential grief. Some places don't even like you to advertise the company or position you have with them. All the best on your first day. :)

Thanks. Yes, you're right. Whilst I have 100% trust in the board members here, I have had issues with trolls and bullies in other places in the past. After all, this is a public forum and you never know who's reading.

Just to clarify, especially if my new employer is reading, that I feel a mixture of excitement and fear. I know there's no guarantees in life but I feel there's a very good probability that I won't want to return to the old work I was doing.

If I get a 62yr old boat apprentice tomorrow I will go easy on you , good luck?

Judging by this post I'm guessing you are creating the cryptic crosswords for the times or something :lol: . Good luck for your new venture whatever it may or may not be.

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

I hope that it went well

TBH, I haven't really done a regular day's work yet, as I'm 2 days into an induction course. I'm optimistic but, naturally, with a tinge of caution.