• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ5 MOUNT

Alec

Hi 

Please see attached photos. To explain I've checked the voltage from the pack 6 volts new battery. The red light comes on the controller, the buttons on the front I removed to look inside the box! You will see on the mount I've attached a DTI clock to the gear to see if I can see any movement. 1 vision on the DTI is 0.002mm I will see movement if its working. Looking on the internet the red light goes green. Lots of folks seem to be talking about voltage, but I've had my test meter on it.

So box lights up motors don't drive, I've also a space motor that I bench tested and this wont work either. Any ideas what to test anyone?

Cheers 

Alec

mod IMG_2206.jpg

mod IMG_2207.jpg

possibly the controller, I had that issue with my eq5 when I had one. Also I had issues with not enough power, volts were fine but not enough amps from the supply.

oh and the micky mouse board the sockets are on are rather fragile / prone to poor joints.

Weak point on those EQ5 motors is the circuit board that sticks out holding the socket for the supply cable.

I've confirmed both motors are ok, hot wired a supply to each motor and they work so must be the dual axis motor drive box. It's coming apart !

Does anyone local have a dual axis drive box I could try to confirm the fault. Would drive over with the mount just try it

I don't really want to replace it as will be getting various items in the future to turn it into the full goto mount.

I'm more inclined to diagnose the fault and correct it short term but thx for the link.

That's very kind of you thank you 

29 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

I will have a look and sede if I can find mine

shopping and food to do first though