• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Higgs-Boson particle may exist.

BAZ

Been following this story for ages, really interesting, I kind of wished they couldn't find it, as that would of been a complete re-write of Physics as we know it.

The Militaries of some countries will no doubt wish to see if they can make a weapon from it

I sure hope we can't. Science should further our species but developing yet more advanced weaponary is only a technological advancement. The true advancement of our race will be when we no longer need them.

Guest Tweedledum

As they "may have evidence" that it exists, They are in no better position than the theory, some bit or other has to give mass and density to the Universe so we know it exists, "may have evidence" is a copout to justify the spending at Cern.

Yep - it's so exciting that they might have found evidence that possibly indicates the higgs boson could exist, and if they do get the right results it may point them in a direction to do more experiments that might futher prove it could be there.

If they do find it I reckon I'll get more miles per gallon from my car, be able to microwave meals quicker, make things I don't like disappear, and have truly instant coffee lol :)

Higgs Boson walks into a church, the priest says "sorry, we don't allow your kind in here" Higgs replys "but without me, how can you have mass"?

Higgs Boson walks into a church, the priest says "sorry, we don't allow your kind in here" Higgs replys "but without me, how can you have mass"?

That made me chuckle.

It's so bad, it's good. :lol:

If you think that is bad wait until you read this one.........all to do with the story of Neutrinos possibly moving faster then light (but we now know they don't) that was announced a few weeks ago.

"sorry, we don't serve faster than light neutrinos here" said the bar man.

A neutrino walks into a bar.