• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

IAS Show 2017

Neo

I will hopefully be there on Friday, and will get there early.

I can't make a day of it though, as i need to be back in Notts for 16:00hrs, so it will be a shortish visit.

Plenty of vendors there this year though so a definite worthwhile trip.

Enjoy the show Richard ! :)

I too shall be going on Friday. Am attending 2 lectures. 1 on the sun & 1 on dark matter. I have a limited budget though so won’t be making any vendors rich.

Enjoy yourselves. 

• Like 2

I am going down on Saturday, with four astro buddies from our local astro group at MSAS.

(In fact MSAS have a small stall down there on Friday and Saturday publicising our ambitions to build a Planetarium etc.)

We are attending lectures too, but it’s just great to peruse at leisure at all the goodies on display. I also have a small list of stuff on my wish list to seek out! ??

Might bump into you Neo (Richard)!

I'm going Friday.

Got a specific and slightly extravagant purchase in mind, but will hopefully see sense and chicken out in the end. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Still in North East. Might get back to Midlands in time for a day there.  Maybe Friday or Saturday, or the day in between ;)

Thanks for all your replies.

I went a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Missus is going to be with me, probably more to ensure I don't buy anything too expensive. But she does enjoy stargazing so you never know I might be able to spend a little on new toys! Am after a new mount so will enjoy looking at what's on show.

Will pop by the MSAS stand and say hello.

All the best

Richard

On 10/10/2017 at 21:37, Tweedledee said:

I'm going Friday.

Got a specific and slightly extravagant purchase in mind, but will hopefully see sense and chicken out in the end. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing your new Explore Scientific, 100°, Argon Purged, 30mm 3" ep - Perhaps??? :)

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Will pop by the MSAS stand and say hello.

All the best

Richard

Hey Richard, I won’t be on the stand much, and I won’t be wearing a carnation... but say hello if you recognise me from my mugshot! - cheers!

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

Looking forward to seeing your new Explore Scientific, 100°, Argon Purged, 30mm 3" ep - Perhaps??? :)

Can't fool you Steve. :thumbsup:

Before you ask, I do have a suitable focuser, but it just isn't fitted to anything yet. In fact I seem to have an awful lot of really good separate parts, they just all need to come together. :lol:

Edited by Tweedledee

Got a pass-out from the OH, so all being well, I'll be heading down sometime Saturday morning.

Never been to one, so should be fun!

Just back and had an enjoyable time, albeit with no purchases. (No room in the car!)

Had some informative discussions with a few vendors and loved the Prof. Michael Merrifield lecture on galaxies  during the afternoon.

I had a good day on Friday.  I enjoyed the 2 lectures, one on The Sun & the other, Dark Matter.  I did over spend by about £90.  No self discipline I'm afraid.

Hi All,

Enjoyed the show. Got some dew heaters from W&W Astro and had a great chat with a few vendors. Was good to see the Eagle kit from PrimaLuce Lab. Also looked at my desired next mount - AZ-EQ6GT but not allowed to buy that just yet :(

What other astro shows would anyone recommend? There is the European AstroFest in London?

Astrofest is a great show Richard (usually the first weekend in February)

They're were not so many vendors there this year and i thought this years IAS was much better in that regard.

Its also very busy, and the venue is a bit too small for it, and feels cramped and at times claustrophobic.

I know : i've been to the last 11 Astrofests.

What it does have is an excellent theatre and truly world class speakers.

You'll find NASA and ESA people lecturing there as well.

Highlights for me over the years....

Meeting and chatting with Al Nagler (Tele-vue CEO)

I've seen Patrick Moore, Brian Cox, Chris Lintott, John Zarneki, Stephen O'Mara, Lucie Green all lecturing

as well as the one and only Allan Chapman, who to me, is the best speaker of them all.

You simply have to go.

• Like 2

Thanks Rob for confirming about Astrofest.

Looks like it was a great line up for 2017, will be interesting to see who is lecturing next year. I will get tickets shortly.

All the best

Richard

Its usually December time, at the earliest, before you can buy tickets. (i think)

And it may be new year before the speaker line up is confirmed.