• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Laserered eyes

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Well I guess I've just realised what has re-ignited my interest in Astronomy - I had my eyes laser corrected about a year ago. All of a sudden the night sky is pinpoint sharp, so I think it has caught my attention much more this winter than it has for years!

Distance is ok for me, but close up I'm getting worse, its all blurry ! I guess its an age thing.

Guest Steve

Yeah, I sacrificed my close up vision, probably brought forward my age-related deterioration by a few years but I've gone from wearing glasses 12 hours a day for distance to maybe a couple of hours a week for really close work. And I can see the stars. Result!

And a pair of £15 reading glasses from Asda is a lot cheaper than the opticians or contacts!

Guest Ely Ellis

I've been toying with the idea for a few years now, since they were advertising £495 per eye on tv. I was put off when they tested my eyes and said it would cost me £2300 for one eye and £2495 for the other. Bit of a shock.

Maybe I should try again. My close up vision is going now, not had long vision since I was 12. I would love to see the stars without distorsion. :rolleyes: .

Guest Steve

Here's a little story.

Optimax give a 50% discount if you or a partner or close family member works for the NHS.

My wife does work for them, so I was all ready with payslips etc... but they didn't ask for any sort of proof.

Read into that what you will....

(If you still can B) )

Edited by Steve

Guest Fluke

I'm blind as a bat without my contacts or glasses, and have been thinking about taking Optical Express up on the offers they keep emailing me.

Interesting to hear about that 50% offer as my Wife works for the NHS!

Steve - roughly how much did it work out at after your discount, if you don't mind me asking?

Guest Steve

Roughly 2k. And that was with all the bells and whistles to supposedly model your eye better to get better night vision. And that was interest free over 2 years.

The procedure was really not too bad for me. All over in 5 minutes and you can see almost immediately - I've had worse trips to the dentist!

The worst bit was when they put drops in to dilate your pupils for the initial examination - when they say take dark glasses, take really dark glasses as the trip home was like being interrogated by the Gestapo!

Guest Ely Ellis

I called them yesterday as the prices didn't add up, they wanted £18?? for each eye, so expected half price to be same but its not. Turns out the offer is 1/2 price of someone elses price, so its about £2200ish.... still pretty good though.

I have sent for an information pack, maybe its time to get it done.

Steve... do you have any problems with halo's around bright objects....?

Guest Steve

None at all for me - pinsharp. I went for the LASIK Wavefront which is supposed to reduce that . Costs more, but you aren't really going to go for the cheap version - they are yer EYES!!!

I also didn't go for their suggested route of one eye now, with the option of one later. The idea is that you have one eye for close vision and one for distance. Tried it with wearing one contact lens for a few days - HATED it!

There are some scare stories, but I think it is pot luck. They do so many these days that it is routine, and the technology keeps getting better. As with anything, you hear most from the people with problems. The silent majority is, well, well named!