• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Am I expecting too much?.....

Perkil8r

I went out last night with the scope, endured the cold for quite a while and enjoyed clear skies galore. But I seem to end up feeling a bit disapointed. I keep looking for objects but find nothing. I have a Telrad which does help, and everything is collimated and aligned as close as makes any difference. I did see a nice Saturn and watched that for quite some time.

Earlier in the year I enjoyed looking at and imaging M42, I've enjoyed Plaedes too and of course the moon, jupiter and venus. Now though I'm struggling. I tried to find M67 last night, didn't see anything, tried for the Leo Triplet and think I may have made out one of them. I turned my attention to the whirlpool galaxy, no joy.

Am I expecting too much of my scope and E.Ps? I have, as per signature, SW 200P, when trying to find and view the above failures I was using the SW 25mm EP that comes with it. I do live quite close to the city, but am on top of the hill so sit nicely above the LP so do still get quite dark skies (around 4-5 on the dark skies survey that the peak skies publish).

I am planning to attend the cricket club on Friday, and will bring the scope along just in case, is it just that I don't have a big enough scope for these targets, or dark enough skies? Or is it that I am not spending long enough hunting them down and using averted vision for long enough in each area?

I'm not about to give in, I'm enjoying what I do see, just wondering what I'm missing in order to see some other exciting new targets.

Guest Steve

Hi Mike, I'm a little concerned about this as well for when, (not if), I get my scope. I live in Leicester city, so I'm not sure how much I can expect to see from the garden, as opposed to dragging everything into the car and off to a field.

One thing I'd thought about was Light Pollution filters. Something like: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html maybe. Has anyone got any experience advice on this sort of filter?

(Sorry to hi-jack the topic - but I thought it might be pertinent).

Hi Mike Steve.

I have the same scope and am in a similar state as you (all though I do seem to of found more).

So far with my scope from my back garden I have seen, (ignoring planets as they are easy) M3, M31,M35, M41, M42, M44, M45 + split a couple of doubles. (all this from Hucknall which is 7 miles from Nottingham - major LP !!!)

I have found it is all down to a lot of patients, time and the willing to keep trying.

The Telrad has been a godsend as I am on a dob base, as has the wixey digital angle gauge (and Stellarium).

All i can suggest is keep trying, but bear in mind there will be some things from a light pouluted back garden that with our equipment we will just never see (I am soo trying to find M51 etc which is around the plough (Ursa Major) but that is one faint fuzzy that from my back garden, I may never see.

Edited by Daz type-r

One word guys and that is practise. It takes time for it all to fall into place. With an 8" scope under clear dark skies you should see the complete Messier Catalogue, under polluted skies maybe half of them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't use goto IIRC so you are star hopping to the object, this definitely requires practise. Once targeted on the object, just a quick glance might not show it, you have to dark adapt your eyes and stare at the object for a good 10 minutes and gradually more and more will become visible. This defintely true of smaller aperture scopes, the bigger ones such as 12" and above have alot more sudden impact.

I agree with Mick, sadly even small amounts of light pollution can really put a damper on a good night.

I live a couple of miles from Daz, and I struggle to see M51 with a 12". But get it to a dark site and it's a different matter. From Lucksall I can see M51 in the finder scope, it really does make such a dramatic difference.

Don't get too despondent, just stick the scope in the car when you can and get to the CC. You can make out the Milky Way from there, so you should hit a few more objects.

Look forward to seeing you Friday.

I'm not about to give up or anything, just trying to figure what part of the chain from my brain through eye all the way through the universe is letting the side down. I think it's a combination of say 30% LP, 20% scope and 50% ability to use what I have lol. I'll get there.

I use a SW 200DPS but with a goto, some people say finding is half the fun but; when my goto is aligned and accurate the fun is enjoying what you see! Don't get me wrong, I'm learning to star hop with my Starwave and it isn't easy but dark adaption and patience at the ep is still needed whichever method your using.

Guest Mark Payton

I have to say I still have trouble with the orientation of the view presented by my Dob.

The Rigel + RACI + Android Tablet with SkySafari installed is the only way I can find most stuff.

And it can still be a slow process, but I am getting better.

I just go up the dark site and point my scope the same way as everybody else - I'd be lost without the "sky knowledge" of the other guys :)

I just go up the dark site and point my scope the same way as everybody else - I'd be lost without the "sky knowledge" of the other guys :)

Exactly right. It helps a lot when you are observing with others. Once you have found an object it is much easier the next time around.

Stick with it and you will soon be reaping the rewards.

One other factor is seeing varies what you can see a lot even from one minute to the next.