• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Red LED illuminator

Rock Doctor

Can you buy or does anyone have a parts list for making a small red led illuminator for lighting up a polar alignment scope? Would also be interesting to hear if you would normally fix the bulb and battery within the mount or just dangle the bulb in the hole after the cap has been removed.

If anyone has made one of these before or can quickly knock one up and is going on Friday I'd pay for the parts. :)

Guest Kheldar

Uber cheap version (power with 4x AA 1.2V rechargable batteries.)

Maplin shopping list:

BF87U 2.5mm Heatshrink 1m 1 1.658 0.332 1.99

CJ64U 3mm 5V HE Red LED 1 0.575 0.115 0.69

HF29G 4AA Battery Box 1 1.075 0.215 1.29

NE19V Rigid PP3 Clip 1 0.992 0.198 1.19

Edited by Kheldar

Thanks Kim.

I might try Stephen's uber cheap solution first :)

Are you going on Friday?

You would think that with the cost of the dx mount that it would have a polar scope and illuminator already installed :(

I'll be at Kelling from Thurs this week to Weds next week Dave - so I won't be doing the CC this time unfortunately. I agree about the mount - it's begging for an internal led lit polar scope like the NEQ6 Pro. Nothing wrong with DIY though - call it personalisation :)

Guest Kheldar

Stephen,

I can't quite make out what the Rigid PP3 clip is for.

Clip goes onto battery holder : you then solder the LED to the wires extended from the clip.

Stephen,

I've had a thought looking at your uber cheap light and Dions with what looks like a pot to control on/off and brightness.

For an uber uber cheap variable intenstity led illuminator for the polar scope

What about using a 12v red led CJ66W connected to a standard phono plug FJ89W and then connecting it to power via a multi channel controller that I have for heater bands.

Would that work or am I missing something? :)

Guest Kheldar

Seems fine in principal, just remember that you don't want it too bright else it won't be useable

Edited by Kheldar

Stephen

your red led polar scope illuminater works and so does the uber uber cheap one. So if anyone wants to make one the (Maplins) parts list for Stephens is listed above and for a variable brightness batteryless one (assuming that you have a 12v controller unit)

3mm 12v red led CJ66W £0.69

Standard phono plug FJ89W £1.29

2.5mm Heatshrink 1m BF87U £1.99