• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron 11inch cpc XLT

newtyng5

Just a broad question about this scope. It's the one I actually wanted before I got my 9.25 AVX. Reasons I did not get it was, I was looking at the CGX-L version,  (in case I got into astrophotography), but the price was way too high, and the weight. But the CPC 11inch version weights 30KG (ota plus forks), and I lift that easy at the gym all the time (also I realise I am just a visual observer, and always have been, so no need for expensive mounts)

So I was thinking of getting this, and part exchanging or selling my 9.25 to buy it, and I have some compo due soon, which would make the rest up . I know the aperture increase is small, but it all helps.

I think Kim owned one once (brantuk) , just wondered what the cpc mount is like?.

So the questions are, is it worth it, trading up to 11inch? (I did research which suggests it is, but I could be convinced otherwise), and, would anyone be interested in a Celestron 9.25 SCT on an avx mount, which I bought in March from FLO (retails at £1969)I would sell for £1400 inclusive of   skysync GPS (£188, although rother valley having it on offer now ) , and astrozap heated dew shield (£73)+ the original bits n bobs.

Oh one other thing, I bet folks thinking, for 3+grand you could get a 16inch dob. Well I have been down the dob side years ago, plus my m8 has a 14inch dob, and well I have always wanted an SCT since I saw those orange C8's as a kid in 'Astronomy' magazine, and being so impressed by the 9.25........

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c925-sct-vx-goto.html    <one I thinking of selling , if there is an interest.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-gps-series/celestron-cpc-1100-gps-xlt.html one I want to buy.

Cheers for your help as always, and see you at the next meet.

Clear skies! :cheers:

I can understand your reasoning wanting a CPC for visual.

Its always easier not having the eyepieces at funny angles, and not having to keep adjusting the diagonal.

But i've never been that keen on GEM mounts. Thats just me. 

I've recently purchased a C9.25 myself and plan to use it for both visual and high frame rate Lunar + Planetary.

I won't be using a GEM mount though...

I think (i'm assuming) the jump up from 9.25 to 11" , while being noticeable, would not be quite as noticeable

as the jump from 8 to 11".

I think i'd see if i could source a used one rather than parting with 3k + for a new one.

They do come up on UKAB/S. Edge and non-edge.

Another issue is you're kind of putting all your eggs in one basket.

With the 11" SCT you'll be working at 2.8M FL

Great for high power, but is the mount steady enough for it ?

That also rules quite a lot of visual stuff out you may want to observe that looks best at LOW powers.

They say no one scope can do it all, and as versatile as the CPC 11" is i think eventually you'll want something to go with it.

I think if it was me, i'd keep the 9.25 a while longer and see if something comes up used, and maybe upgrade the mount to something like an AZ-EQ6

Have you considered a refractor ?

How about a 6" APM Doublet ? (or the 140 doublet)

They have a good reputation. Theres one for sale here....

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=131364

My dream a long time ago was to have a CPC1100 and remote control it from the conservatory. Hook up a video camera to it like the minitrons or watecs and watch it on my 47" TV.

For visual they are brilliant but remember you will need lower power eyepieces such as the TV 55mm for your scanning eyepiece. As for the visual difference between 9.25 and 11 I don't think it will be hugely different but then I could be wrong.

That is a superb scope that will cover most angles of your astro interests very nicely. 

Lifting and moving these is always a matter of technique and care. You will already have some of the technique with your 9.25, but not only is the 11 heavier, it is fatter and the centre of gravity is further out from your body, making it seem to weigh more (mass x distance). It is not like being down the gym lifting a heavily weighted barbell with someone spotting you for safety. You're in the dark at Belper trying to avoid trip hazards while carrying the most awkward to hold curling bar type apparatus and probably not able to see around the bulk of the thing. The bulk and weight will make it more awkward to set up than the 9.25 but it will be well worth it. Just be careful with your back. You obviously really want this scope, so you will soon learn to lift and move it safely.

As Mick says you'll need a big scanning eyepiece. Something with largest possible field stop will not quite give you a 1 degree real field as a maximum. So don't expect to get a nice vista on the Pleiades,  you'll mostly be looking through a small section of it. A 2" 55mm TV plossl will be ok, a 31mm Nagler would be fabulous.
55mm Plossl = 51x 0.98 degree.
31mm Nagler = 90x 0.91 degree.
25mm ES100 = 112x 0.89 degree.

Obviously high powers will be easy without having to squint through tiny eyepieces.

It is an exciting state-of-the-art scope. :thumbsup:

I have a C11 and use it mainly for planetary imaging.

On occasion i have been know to pop the bino viewers in and have a look :o

The views are great.

Down sides weight and has has been said they do neaad some thought in getting them on the mount.

Also do not forget the cooldown time as well.

A big step up from the 8" SCT not so sure about from the 9.25.

The 11" has 41% more light gathering than the 9.25 so yes there should be a bit of a difference.

The 9.25 has 33% more than the 8".

You will need both a dew shield and a heater for the very dewy nights

i use mine on an EQ6 mainly but it has made the journy onto the NJP

large_c11.jpg.503871ae88ec2067f51444f09269b147.jpg

I have one myself semi permanent in a Skyshed Pod (too big in my opinion to routinely move).  Its paired with a 3.5 inch semi apo f5 which I do most of my wide field DSO imaging with and use the CPC1100 for lunar and planetary, probably the nicest thing I've ever used on this stuff.  I also have the Skysense which while a luxury is rather lovely and does make life easier.

Rob, maybe you should put in an extra few sessions down the gym while you're waiting for the big delivery. :D

4 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I have a C11 and use it mainly for planetary imaging.

On occasion i have been know to pop the bino viewers in and have a look :o

The views are great.

Down sides weight and has has been said they do neaad some thought in getting them on the mount.

Also do not forget the cooldown time as well.

A big step up from the 8" SCT not so sure about from the 9.25.

The 11" has 41% more light gathering than the 9.25 so yes there should be a bit of a difference.

The 9.25 has 33% more than the 8".

You will need both a dew shield and a heater for the very dewy nights

i use mine on an EQ6 mainly but it has made the journy onto the NJP

large_c11.jpg.503871ae88ec2067f51444f09269b147.jpg

Loving the panda footstool.  No home ob is complete without one.  I have a pink barbie hairdryer in mine.  Not for dew, just 'cos I like it!

7 minutes ago, DeanWatson said:

Loving the panda footstool.  No home ob is complete without one.  I have a pink barbie hairdryer in mine.  Not for dew, just 'cos I like it!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::respect:

Thanks for the feedback. Most informative. Looking now at the Meade lx90 12 inch as a possible alternative. Or lx200 but it's a wee bit expensive. So lx90, or celestron 11cpc XLT. Not something I am getting immediately. Just accessing the options. :waning_crescent_moon:

Thanks Dean, that's what I found from reading about it. Glad to have it 'seconded' by someone. (just visual for me though). As for eyepieces, I think Pete mentioned a few, but I have the range I need.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the 1100cpc on Thursday. We got there too early really , as it was so misty. I bought the scope from someone in Lincoln (ABS) . Needs a lil clean, but nothing drastic.

Anyway I am happy, just sorting some things out (namely the cables getting tangled).

Got a bumbag from ebay for a couple quid, cut a hole in it and Velcro strapped it to one side (for the dew controller). Ordered two more Velcro buckles to strap the power supply to the right hand side (its a tracer and quite small).

Got my eyepiece case sorted, and ordered a telrad, rather than the 50mil finderscope .

Ohh also got some pec pads, and solution to clean the corrector (rocket blower on it's way) , as for the primary its not that bad, so will get it professionally cleaned in a year or so.

As for observing, well we got there at 7pm, baz arrived just after 9pm (we left at 10pm, sorry baz, short n sweet). But it was so misty initially that car headlights were like laser beams. It did settle a bit. Next time I think we will get there around 10pm after the atmosphere settles a bit.

Saw a few bits n bobs, m81 looked great. So cant wait till the next time I can try it.

Clear skies!

:brr:

I think telescope choice is down to the individual. One man's meat is another man's poison. In my case, I don't have anywhere to permanently mount a telescope and a 127mm Maksutov is as heavy as I can manage. When I have a bad back, I cannot even manage that.

However much money we have, we ALL moan about budget or the lack of it. One thing I always consider is how often I use my kit. These days I use my Nikon D3200 more than my other kit combined.

I should add that I hope you enjoy your new 'scope but I encourage you to consider photography. It doesn't take lots of bucks and is easier than I ever realised.

Edited by Sunny Phil

You didn't miss anything Rob, it slowly got worse until a cloud bank moved over, so I reckon you had a good bit of what was on offer.

Let us know how you get on with the scope.