• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Well That's Settled Then.

Perkil8r

We really do need a facepalm emoji that adequately reflects this. 

"We just can't imagine this", while the video is actually showing it. I am going for a short lie down.........

I do worry that there are still folks out there who think this. It seems like they are growing in number too but then I guess it might just seem like it because it's easier to find the nutters thanks to the way the internet has developed over time. For sure before platforms such as facebook etc it would have been harder for them to spread such drivel.

I can live with folks who doubt the Moon landings happened, even though they are wrong. Flat Earth nutters no, that is a step too far and puts them in the same category as people who say they were abducted by aliens and probed. Come on, if intelligent life exists they are not going to visit Earth in rural locations and pick up Donald Trump wannabe redneck hicks who think it's acceptable to marry their cousins pig.

Anyway, if the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now! Right, I'm off to check my horoscope.

Hmmmm.... flat Earth'ers..... fundamental misunderstanding of gravity, Newtonian motion, and... errmm.... well physics/astronomy as a whole really. :screwloose:

13 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I'll watch that later as I have to take my unicorn for a walk first.

Thanks to a newly discovered skull fossil found in the Pavlodar region of Kazakhstan, we now know that the unicorn — or "Elasmotherium sibiricum" — roamed the planet roughly 29,000 years ago. So Steve unicorns are real, I wonder if all the unicorn stories are based on these animals.

BuFrdC.jpg

Heres my take on nutters-

There has always been a percentage of nutters to sane types.

In the past only a few outspoken nutters have had a voice and these had either been ignored or they started a world war.

Because the world population has increased to high levels the number of nutters have increased also. Still in similar proportions I reckon

Unfortunately the nutters now have a voice in which to reach the world - the internet and social media. This allows even minor nutters to have a voice.

Unfortunately the number of thick gullible types has increased also in line with the population and these types perceive what the nutters are saying as truth.

I shall stop there for my own sanity :blink:

Well I'm just pleased to learn about the ancient unicorns, even if they were a bit less elegant than present day ones.

I reckon the percentage of stupid people has increased, mainly as a result of health and safety. Previously Darwin would have looked after the numbers but now we are defeating natural selection by such things as warning people that a packet of dry roasted peanuts "may contain nuts". Seriously, if folks need that amount of help to avoid accidentally coming into contact with nuts I would suggest they must be allergic to themselves being that nutty. Yes, I can understand warnings on say for instance a fruit cake warning of nuts but a packet of nuts?..... Come off it!

In a 4-dimensional space, the Earth IS flat, just as a circle is flat in 3 dimensional space. I have great difficulty in considering what a 4-dimensional "sphere" would look like!

I have written this message because the Moon is clouded out here.

4 hours ago, Perkil8r said:

I reckon the percentage of stupid people has increased, mainly as a result of health and safety. Previously Darwin would have looked after the numbers but now we are defeating natural selection by such things as warning people that a packet of dry roasted peanuts "may contain nuts". Seriously, if folks need that amount of help to avoid accidentally coming into contact with nuts I would suggest they must be allergic to themselves being that nutty. Yes, I can understand warnings on say for instance a fruit cake warning of nuts but a packet of nuts?..... Come off it!

But surely they would have heard of the saying "as nutty as a fruit cake"?

If they got rid of all the nutty people, I'd go with them. I mean who in their right mind would stay up until 3AM in March to complete the Messier Catalogue?

On 03/12/2017 at 10:54, BAZ said:

We really do need a facepalm emoji that adequately reflects this. 

"We just can't imagine this", while the video is actually showing it. I am going for a short lie down.........

Any of these do?

facepalm ancient.jpg

facepalm.jpg

faceplanet.jpg

ultimate facepalm.jpg

• Haha 3

On 03/12/2017 at 15:17, Tweedledee said:

Well I'm just pleased to learn about the ancient unicorns, even if they were a bit less elegant than present day ones.

Dont know about you, I cant move for present day Unicorns...Even see them at gymkhanas...! ;-)

On 12/3/2017 at 15:57, Perkil8r said:

I reckon the percentage of stupid people has increased, mainly as a result of health and safety. 

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

On 12/3/2017 at 00:22, Ibbo said:

I'll watch that later as I have to take my unicorn for a walk first.

image.png.03e6c6f5fc2e4b7aa5b5c75940ee4449.png ...and we all know what that means...

12 hours ago, Big Al said:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

image.png.03e6c6f5fc2e4b7aa5b5c75940ee4449.png ...and we all know what that means...

But IS the universe infinite? If we think in more than 3 dimensions, we are on a 3-dimensional surface of a 4-dimensional object or higher dimensions. Consider a football. You can travel as far as you like on its surface but cannot move off of it. It has no centre and has no edge. This goes against the everyday notion of Euclidean geometry but neither cosmology nor quantum mechanics make sense in any everyday sense.