• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Homemade DIY Binoviewer.

Doc

You might laugh at me and say beneath your breath "NO way will this work" but I need to ask.

Will this work?

Can I make a binoviewer from a microscope binocular head such as the one in the following e-bay link. I'm sure i can make the adapters needed to join binocular head to my focuser. But will it still work, will I be able to view through it, and what are the pitfalls I might encounter?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leitz-Wetzlar-Microscope-Binocular/182847052968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Ani ideas.

Edited by Doc

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The same principles should apply. You might need a barlow to push out the focal plane if there isn't one in there already. Though I bet your scope has enough in travel without using a Barlow.

I say go for it and I think you already have some microscope eps. :thumbsup:

I imagine that the only slight drawback could be that it probably has a narrow internal aperture due to small prism sizes etc. Maybe 20mm maximum or less. Microscopes have a brightly illuminated subject, so don't need the extra light grasp. In fact most microscope objectives are tiny, only 3 or 4mm diameter. But using eyepieces with smaller field lenses (microscope eyepieces) will be fine. Usually higher power and ideal for planets and double stars. :)

My scope has quite a lot of travel so focusing shouldn't be a problem. Adapters I can make on the lathe so that shouldn't be a problem. When I use the microscope eyepieces I have the view is very good and very sharp, I would estimate a FOV of about 40°. As long as I keep to Microscope eyepieces I cannot see a problem.

Take a look at this CN page.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/567710-should-i-try-microscope-converted-binoviewer/

Thanks David for the link.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

One of my concerns with this Mick, is how you correct for things like spherochromatism ?

You may find the narrow fov a bit restrictive too (especially being used to Delos) and the views a bit dim.....

I would put a post on the CN bino-viewer forum.

Eddgie (CNs binoviewer guru will offer some good advice)

Unless I change the barrels to accept 1.25" I can only use microscope eyepieces which I don't mind using as they are very sharp.

Sounds interesting Mick, I would say give it a go. You have all the skills and tools to give it a good shot!

Also we will all be left wondering if you don’t take it on... including yourself!

If it don’t work then you should be able to sell it on and get your money back...

It's doable Mick. I knew someone who modded one of these for his 127 mak. Worked great with 1" eyepieces that came with it, I think he had 25 and something around 10mn equivalents. The problem when he modded it to accept thin 1.25" eyepieces was vignetting. The optics are designed for much smaller glass