• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My next new DIY ALT/AZ Mount build thread

Doc

I have drawn up plans for my next Alt/Az mount. After the success of the DM6 clone I have decided on a Panther clone. You can see the mount in the link below. 

https://trackthestars.com/

It won't track the sky and be nowhere near as fancy as a proper one, but it will work on the same principle and hopefully will be beefy and smooth. It will sit on top of my planet tripod and will be the same height as the DocMount.

I will update this thread as and when. 

Looking forward to seeing this build Mick. I just watched the TTS160 Panther video. Nice mount.

You could put a nice 200mm apo on it. :thumbsup:

Interesting Mick.

I too wish you well, and will follow your progress.

Is some sort of motorisation (not goto or anything) definitely not an option ?

The TTS-160 is a heavy beast : the head with counterweight arms (no weights) hits the scales at 19kg.

My DM6 is fairly lightweight in comparison.

To tell you the truth I'm not bothered about motorising my mounts. You need to drag out leads, batteries etc, It's easier to just nudge it along, that's the beauty of alt/az. It's the same with goto computers, I don't really like them and won't pay the cost of them. A simple wixey and my phone is much cheaper and just as accurate. To be honest most nights I just star hop to where I want to be.

• Like 2

An excellent project Mick, it’s a neat looking solid mount!

Looking forward to watching your progress on same. ?

The shaft through the centre is 25mm stainless steel. I've ordered some more bronze to make some bushes for the shaft to run in. The main housing is 5" in diameter and 60mm in length. I've had to stick to 5" as this is the biggest my chuck holds.

VW6i0X.jpg

zgASYa.jpg

Ttc5H5.jpg

The shafts that the arms will run on are 30mm diameter and only 32mm wide so at the moment are aluminium. At that length there will be no flex and I have no stainless at that size so will try aluminium first. The bearings are UHWMPE and will be secured in the arms once they are made.

SJ9UVT.jpg

Below shows the shafts screwed into the main body they have M12 threads. After this was made I placed it on a engineers table and using a height gauge I measured the height of both shafts and they are within 0.001" of each other so I was pretty amazed at that.

cpfQyx.jpg

The arms of the mount will be pressed onto the plastic bushes and will run on the aluminium shafts. The main shaft will run in bronze bushes yet to be fitted.

vshAKk.jpg

F1ePpO.jpg

Edited by Doc

It is great just a little expensive. Metal isn't cheap especially when you don't buy it in bulk. But to buy these professionally made mounts cost a lot more then me building them.

I already have an AZ8 clone in my mind with slow motion controls, that will be next one after this one.

Off to a good start!

You have made some excellent progress Mick, and keeping us well informed on the process too, ?

The man shed is proving a boon!

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It is great just a little expensive. Metal isn't cheap especially when you don't buy it in bulk. But to buy these professionally made mounts cost a lot more then me building them.

I already have an AZ8 clone in my mind with slow motion controls, that will be next one after this one.

It is an inspiration to see your progress Mick. It makes me realise what amazing things can be crafted if you have the vision, drive and skills for this type of thing. Brilliant to know that you even have an AZ8 clone on the back burner Mick. :thumbsup:

The bushes have arrived I ordered 25mm x 35mm x 30mm oilite ones and I fitted them today. Put the body into a chuck and bored out to 35mm and pressed them in. 

1HWT3s.jpg

DqxOHN.jpg

cWmz2t.jpg

Edited by Doc

• 1 month later...

A few more hours in the workshop. Marked out and then drilled and counterbored 32 holes, these holes are for the riser rods.

jkjuKn.jpg

5RzhT9.jpg

y8sVki.jpg

FebKc7.jpg

Looking good Mick.

Give me a shout if you want me to drop by with the new mount sometime.....

Will do Rob I'll be in touch.

Just one question though how much weight do you need to balance your 132 scope.

weight and size of counter balance weights?