• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Big big dob

tuckstar

Not practical in this country. Takes two hours to put together, look up at the sky, completely cloudy, two hours to put away :angry:

Pointless.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not practical in this country. Takes two hours to put together, look up at the sky, completely cloudy, two hours to put away :angry:

Pointless.

If it did stay clear, you'd need a massive light shroud in the UK which would turn it into massive sail. You could do yourself an injury messing around with that in the dark. At least the eyepiece is low down and easy to look through.

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I think Pete's building one isn't he.......?? :D

I think my primary mirror is smaller than his secondary. :rolleyes:

Don't let SevenLegs Tony see this, he will want one. :)

It also amazes me that any astronomy related stuff on the news is put in the 'funny last few minutes' for comedic value.

I'd still like to have a look! That mirror has to be a really good one if it was going to be flirted into orbit, I wonder how much it cost him?

If you used your average 25mm Plossl eyepiece in this scope, it would give nearly 900x magnification and a minute FOV of about 4 arcminutes. It must be extremely difficult to use and you'd have to think carefully about which targets to even bother trying for. You'd be absolutely lost in such a tiny part of the double cluster, Pleiades or the Orion Nebula. Even just the Trapezium in the nebula would struggle to fit in the FOV