• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Dorset

Guest singelspeedman

Guest singelspeedman

Hi,

have just posted in the selling area but thought I should do a proper intro here. I was recommended here by a member of another forum that advised it was a lot nicer than the other site. As he seemed like a nice chap I thought I would check it out, have a little peruse and finally - sign up.

I live in dorset but travel all over the UK a lot (1500 mile a week if driving, more if flying). I have only been stargazing a year but am keen on astro photography. This is more of a geek thing and dealing with the technical aspects along with working out how to process / take better images being a handy pastime for cloudy nights.

I also like straight observing and am currently trying to get the kit I should have if time, inexperience and falling into some better kit on the photo sie of things had not been an factor.

Along with this I am a keen fisherman (carp, coarse, fly, swfly, lrf, hrf, lure, kayak and shore) and enjoy looking at the sky from some very dark locations when waiting for the crabs to pinch my bait or for the worms to drown. I have not managed to grab a set of bins yet but will certainly be doing so in the very near future once I have worked out the best compromise between price, magnification, fov and acceptance that the areas I go could wear them out a lot faster than i normal use.

I am not a massive poster and go through periods of mass activity and then lacklustre - it just depends on if the fish are calling or if the skies are clear.

Anyway - Hi all.

Hi Phil good to have you on board.

We have some very knowlegable chaps on here, so just ask away at any time and i`m sure some one will help you out.

Enjoy the forum.

Regards,

Daz.

Hi Phil, a warm welcome to EMS.

I reckon that some 15x70's might fit the Binocular requirements. Not expensive, possible to hand hold for short periods, but you will need a tripod for extended use, and they give a great view of the sky.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Phil, another astro/angler here too! Always meant to get down to Dorset to have a go at those big grayling in the Frome, but not made it yet, Do they still exist?

Guest singelspeedman

Hi Phil, another astro/angler here too! Always meant to get down to Dorset to have a go at those big grayling in the Frome, but not made it yet, Do they still exist?

they do but I prefer the salt water fly round here and head off to brecon and the usk for trout and salmon as a full season pass is £40 and you can actually keep some of the fish if you like eating them plus is a great river. Am off up there for a wedding later this year and will be taking the scope too as staying in a little village just outside that is proper dark sky area

they do but I prefer the salt water fly round here and head off to brecon and the usk for trout and salmon as a full season pass is £40 and you can actually keep some of the fish if you like eating them plus is a great river. Am off up there for a wedding later this year and will be taking the scope too as staying in a little village just outside that is proper dark sky area

Tried to PM you Phil but it say's you're not set up for it.

Tried to PM you Phil but it say's you're not set up for it.

You need to have 10 posts before PM is available.