• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

advice on a dob

Guest singelspeedman

Guest singelspeedman

I am selling a scope ti fund a dob. I have decided on the 250p and have found one at a good price so am going to buy in the morning. The question I have though is......

I have an eq5 pro tripod with a 150p scope on it. As I like to have goto and manual scopes for different moods and pursuits I was thinking I could sell the 150p ota and rings and simply by some appropiate rings for the dob ota and use it as a manual scope on the dob mount and, when I want to, I could stick it on the heq5 pro tripod. (think that makes sense so onto the question)

Is this practical and will the tripod take a dob in this fashion without destroying the motors?

I am hoping for a favorable answer as it will give me a bit more space, allow me to store the dob in the dinging room with no wife moaning and give me the best of two worlds. I also help to feel that if I could manage to meet that criteria it would be a miracle.

Advice greatly appreciated.

I would say a 250mm newt is about the max for a HEQ5, I have seen a 300mm newt on a EQ6 before.

A 250mm on an HEQ5 is visual only, if you want to image with it, then you will need a, EQ6 for a 250mm.

Guest singelspeedman

ah ok, would the 200p be the better bet? Would I really notice the better views by moving from a 5 inch mirror to 8 inch (I know moving to 10 would be awesome)

There will definitely be a difference between 5" and 8".

It really depends on what you need it for visual or imaging. I have seen plenty of 250mm on EQ5 but if you are doing imaging you have to think about flexture.

Guest singelspeedman

Yes I am into imaging and trying to move my kit into a do all sort of scenario. I know dedicated for each type of use is best but I can live with the compromise if I am still going to get images at least as good as with the 150p and a boost to visual. A little better for imaging would be a boost though. I should add that I also do some imaging through a 750mm canon lense rather than through the scope but still mounted to the same tripod. When i say some I mean most.

Edited by singelspeedman

Personally if I was going to image I would get a 80-100mm APO refractor this would be so much better then a 250mm newt. You do not need aperture for imaging.

Guest Kheldar

Personally if I was going to image I would get a 80-100mm APO refractor this would be so much better then a 250mm newt. You do not need aperture for imaging.

+1

Imaging with a big newt can be a PITA!

Guest singelspeedman

thanks for that - I have an 80mm handy so will be giving that a go at the first chance I get, Think I will just ge the big 250p dob for visual though as I have always wanted one.

I am biased, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Dob, dead easy to set up, and all the cash goes towards the optics.

Also, if you are not happy with something, change it, Dobs are probably the most modified scope of all, there's a lot of improvements that can be made at a modest cost.

Adding a Telrad or Rigel finder is a definite, upgrading the bearings to allow better movement, and a dew control system is probably a must.

If you use heavy "Hand grenade" eyepieces then a counter balance helps, so you are not fighting the scope. Again there have been some really ingenious solutions.

Dion and the gang on Astronomy shed have some very good tutorials on how to improve and collimate a dob.

Guest singelspeedman

I managed to get a friend of a friend to look at my kit and talk through what I want and I have now bought a 250px dob. Keeping the 127mak and ditching the 150p newt with the az goto mount out the door and the heq5 being retained. Have already got it all set up in the new config for imaging and cannot wait for the dob to arrive. Thanks for the tips

Guest singelspeedman

Congrats on the new scope, that's you sorted for a set up now. Well for a bit anyway. :D

don't say that - the wife will kill me. I have got 5 mountain bikes and 27 fishing rods. I need to keep the scopes to just the two set-ups or she will kill me.

Guest singelspeedman

lol ok here goes.

Mountain Bikes

hardtail - good for climbing, full susser - downhill, 2nd full susser short travel - cross country, single speed - basic commuter that needs no love at all, Full titanium and carbon singles speed weiging in at under 17lb - just because I could build it and I like riding it.

Fishing rods

3 different weight of rods for fresh water fly, 2 weights for salt water fly, 2 lrf rods, 2 hrf rods (again light and strong), 3 spinning rods (light to strong), 3 carp rods for fishing, 1 for spodding and 1 as a back up, 2 coarse rod (ledgering), 2 float rods, 1 trotting rod, 2 very expensive beach casters (multiplier), 1 fixed spool rod and 1 final one for travel.

I did forget to include one extra fly rod which is called a tenkara rod - an ancient form of fly fishing dating back to the samurai and possibly the original form but there is some debate there.

A fisherman can never have two many rods and I do not like to limit myself to one discipline as I enjoy them all. Plus, living on the south coast means the sea fishing goes off at certain times of year so the rivers call out more. Fly fishing is my number one love though and is the most under practised by myself.

I would wager most people on here have 3 scopes and wifes / partners that do not understand why.

I dont even want to get into the number of reels ;)

Edited by singelspeedman

Wow I bet your wife moans like hell, I know mine would.

I couldn't have all them as I suffer from OCD and the mess would drive me mad.

Well, there's some good Bass spots down your way, damn tasty fish as well.

As for scopes, you need a Big newt, a refractor, and a Mak, that should be enough to be going on with.

The way things are at the moment, that 's a scope for every good night of observing through the year.