• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie from South Derbyshire

Martin

Hi all I'm new to Astronomy a natural progression from my interest in photography I guess

I bought a syn scan 102 about a month ago ,on the few nights I have managed to see through the clouds ,happy with what I saw but as always left wanting more , so considering a 10" Dobsonian

Been looking over the forum for last couple of weeks so thought I'd just say HELLO !

Martin

Hi Martin, if you want to do astro photography you would do better to check out equatorial mounts and scopes, A great book everyone swears by is 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards, well worth a look before you spend a lot of money!

Welcome to EMS :)

Yeah like Ron says, depends on what you want to do. For astrophotography, then an eq mount is best (but not an absolute no) but for visual, then a dob is great, can't get much better bang for your buck!

Hi Martin, a warm welcome to EMS.

The 10" dob will serve you well for visual, and there's not a lot you won't be able to see from a dark site. They are very limited for imaging though.

As mentioned an EQ mount is recommended for imaging, but you don't need a big scope to get results. Very good results can be obtained from a 80mm refractor, but it's the quality of both the mount and scope, not aperture that's needed.

Oh, and deep pockets. :D

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Martin and welcome, Im a south derbyshire type as well but the other side of BOT from you

Hi phil I'm in swad